liquid yeast - starter absolutely necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I'm making a bass clone using extracts and the Wyeast 1098 Brit propogator. I was planning on brewing today but read the yeast instructions and they describe making a starter over 48 hours, which creates a bit of a problem.

First, I don't have the dry malt extract to make the starter. But the bigger problem is that I don't have time on weekdays to brew. I cracked the crystal malt last weekend so I'd like to brew as soon as possible.

A friend of mine who has been doing this for 7+ years told me I can just use the starter pack and pour it into the wort after letting is expand for a few hours. I've read other posts here asking similar questions and most seem to say that making the starter is the way to go.

I have time to brew tomorrow but after that it may be another 1-2 weeks before I have time again. I don't want to have a bad batch because I didn't make a yeast starter but I don't want to let the grains get stale either.

So what benefit does taking the extra 48 hours and the extra ingredients net? Will skipping the step result in a tainted or off batch?

The extra time lets the yeast multiply a few generations. The yeast will do exactly the same thing in your wort, which means the switch to fermentation will take a day or so longer, that's all. Smack it and brew tomorrow.

Sanitation is far more important for controlling contamination.

you will have a longer lag time without the starter.
some say the yeast is more stressed without the starter which could lead to off flavours.
personally the first time i used a liquid yeast without a starter it took 3 days to get going and the beer finished a bit high
i have used starters ever since.
david 42 types faster

Well, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Normally I'd just listen to my friend's advice but my last batch was a True Brew nut brown ale and it came out a little odd. Now I'm a little gun shy.

I know sanitation wasn't the issue last time because I'm used to working in sterile environments and everything was as clean as possible. The one variant was fridge water as opposed to bottled water. I plan to use wal-mart bottled water for this batch with gypsum.

It should be fine with no starter. I would add nothing, but I will say that it should come out of refrigeration well before you need it.

Back