Liquid Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_boc

Reaction score
I am about to place an order for a kolsch as my next brew, and morebeer.com recommends that I use liquid yeast. Is this something I can just pitch in? Or do I have to buy a yeast starter kit along with the liquid yeast to do the whole yeast starter thing?

I've begun making starters every time (i use liquid yeasts exclusively now, also) because of numerous not-quite-complete fermentations. Low grav beers should be okay with just the smack pack/tube, but only if the yeast is healthy and viable. I'd suggest making the starter, you don't really need fancy equipment. I've used a large beer bottle.

You can just pitch the yeast. For a Kolsch it is of the utmost importance to use Kolsch yeast, otherwise you really can call the beer Kolsch. You don't have to buy a starter kit to make starters, you can use any clean bottles you have, even a 22oz beer bottle will work. Boil 500ml water and 1/2 cup DME for 15min, cool to 80F, pitch yeast and let it ferment over 8 hours, then just pitch the starter into the aerated wort.

Back