Liquid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChubbyBrewer

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch today and used liquid yeast for the first time. I let it sit at room temp for 24 hours after it was in the fridge for about a week. When i opened the tube, it sort of fizzed up and smelt like alcohol. Is this normal or did i get bad yeast? it was white labs. It's only been about 7 hours since i have pitched.

My first time using White Labs, I shook up the a room temp vial pitching into my starter and it exploded on me like a shaken soda. I wouldn't worry about it as it's probably fine. If you don't get any activity in the primary after a day I'd repitch

Fizzy yeast means happy yeast.

A week is probably a bit long to leave at room temp but the yeast is in a sealed bag, nothing bad getting in and nothing going out. Think of them like Sailors on a ship at sea. Plenty of time to think about other things and once they get a chance...Dear Lord!

They might be a bit tired when they start having lots of sex and reproducing but's nothing perks them up more than fresh air and free roam in a fertile environment. (That's one of the things yeast like to do, re-produce)

But when they're done with their orgy they're going to.. like Revvy refers to I think. "Eat sugar, burp CO2 and pee alcohol"

Fizzy yeast means happy yeast.

A week is probably a bit long to leave at room temp but the yeast is in a sealed bag, nothing bad getting in and nothing going out. Think of them like Sailors on a ship at sea. Plenty of time to think about other things and once they get a chance...Dear Lord!

They might be a bit tired when they start having lots of sex and reproducing but's nothing perks them up more than free roam in a fertile environment. (That's one of the things yeast like to do, re-produce)

But when they're done with their orgy their going to.. like Revvy refers to I think. "Eat sugar, burp CO2 and pee alcohol"

Love the analogy. it was in the fridge for a week and at room temp for a day.

Thanks for the help

Back