Liquid yeast pack arrived swollen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anharmon7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

One of the liquid yeast packs I ordered arrived already swollen. Omega West coast Ale II OYL-009. (ice packs were cool, but not cold) The place I ordered it from said this was a common occurrence with this specific strain and it would be fine; still viable and still being able to store a few weeks (in the fridge) until brew day. Does this sound right?

I'm new to liquid yeast (always used dry yeast).

Thanks!

I have also experienced the same with an Omega pack, but that was not an issue, nor woudl it be for you, should the yeast be fresh.

I had this happen recently as well, smack pack was inflated, but the inside package of goodies wasn't punctured like it gets when you "smack" it. So, I cut the bag open, dumped it into a ziplock baggy, cut the little bag of what I'm assuming the yeast is, dumped it in as well, mixed it, shook it, etc, and it still worked.

Always happens with WY 1056. Residual CO2 in the package causing the swelling.

Prepare a starter before your brew day. Starters always recommended with liquid yeast. You could get it started now and keep the starter refrigerated until time to warm to room temperature for pitching.

Just to be safe, make a starter with your liquid yeast to check viability. I have bought perfectly fine yeast packets - or so I thought - and had the yeast turn out to be utterly useless.
The most recent bad experience was with a WLP 500 pack cultured in June, stamped "good until October". The yeast pack was sealed, but normally the culture and liquid is white. My specimen was brown and never energized properly, so I had to bail myself out by using a Lallemand dry Abbaye yeast as backup.
You'll know if your starter activates properly or not. It usually isn't discolored and gives off a slight foam as the yeast activates over time at room temperature, just prior to pitching.

I had this happen recently as well, smack pack was inflated, but the inside package of goodies wasn't punctured like it gets when you "smack" it. So, I cut the bag open, dumped it into a ziplock baggy, cut the little bag of what I'm assuming the yeast is, dumped it in as well, mixed it, shook it, etc, and it still worked.

The little bag is the "nutrient pouch"...
https://wyeastlab.com/smack-pack-activator-system

Cheers!

Back