Liquid Yeast Mishap and Followup Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
Hey all! First post. : )

Recently I ordered two extract kits with Wyeast liquid yeast. As soon as they reached my house the yeast was put in the refrigerator. Yesterday, I texted my fiance to smack the Weihenstephan Wheat yeast for a hefeweizen (batch #2) I wanted to start brewing when I got home. Unfortunately, when I got home I found out that she smacked BOTH packs of yeast. Ouch. The other yeast is Wyeast's American Ale for an IPA (batch #3). The bag was plump.

Now, I only have one fermenter so I can't start brewing the IPA for another two weeks. My question is, do I just throw the yeast out and order more OR is there a way to preserve the yeast for a couple weeks, either in warm or cold conditions?

Thanks!

(Also, as an aside, I've been posting my homebrew journal online if anyone is interested. I figure it is a good way to track the process/experience for my own needs, but may also be interesting or helpful for others.)

Put the unused pack back in the fridge and the night before you want to make you IPA, make a 500mL yeast starter and then pitch it. Search 'yeast starter' if you've never made one before. It only requires a sanitized/sterile jar/bottle/vessel and about 50g of DME. Boil the DME in about 600-700ml of water for 15 minutes, cool it in your vessel to about 70F and pitch in your yeast. In about 12-16 hours, you should have a nice frothy jar full of healthy active yeast to toss in your beer.

+1 for sticking it in the fridge, and don't worry about it (although I would make a larger starter, but don't worry about that either).

Incidents like this caused me to relieve SWMBO of her brew-assistant position. Hope you have better luck with that.

Thanks!

This will be a learning experience then. I'll get a chance to make a yeast starter.

+1 to Kaz.
If you have a fiance that can successfully smack a smack pack at the first attempt, she sounds like a keeper.:)

-a.

Back