Liquid yeast in large batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero0

Reaction score
I have been asked to make a recipe for a 260-gallon setup. They usually use dry yeast, but I'd love to use a white labs or wyeast strain on the batch.

Does anyone know how to make a big enough starter for this amount of beer? Is it going to be very expensive, or can I grow enough cells rather easily?

Thanks in advance.

I'd do a super high gravity wort, then dilute it with water to make 4 5-gallon starters. Pitch 7 yeast packs into each 5 gallons. Shake. You'll end up with about 10 trillion cells.

I had this calculated out for another project I had.

It was a 7 gallon batch that ended up at 1.105. 29 pounds of 2-row. Then diluted with 13 gallons of water and then split into 4 batches. Get 4 carboys and put 3.75 gallons of boiled water in them. Then add 1.25 gallons of that 1.105 stuff to them. Pitch 7 packs of yeast in each. Shake intermittently, then decant, and you've got 10 trillion cells.

Yeast= 28 packs @ 6.99 US= $195
28 pounds of grain= $28
Total= $223 US

I'd inquire with Wyeast or White labs about a bulk order. I know Wyeast will do a bulk order if you have 24 packs or more.

I have been asked to make a recipe for a 260-gallon setup. They usually use dry yeast, but I'd love to use a white labs or wyeast strain on the batch.

Does anyone know how to make a big enough starter for this amount of beer? Is it going to be very expensive, or can I grow enough cells rather easily?

Thanks in advance.

If you have heaps of time and containers you can grow it up from one vial or pack. You are going to need to produce around 3L of yeast to do the job.

Latest posts

Back