Liquid vs Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pomylka22

Reaction score
Was curious if there was a potency difference between liquid and dry malt extracts? For example does 3 pounds of amber liquid extract equal 3 pounds of amber dry extract?

Danny

If I recall from when i started I there was a post from YOOPER

1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

If you google (or use the HBT search function) LME to DME conversion you should find some information.

I did a search & found this conversion chart. looks handy; http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/
So the 5lbs of grains I've been mashing for PM ales equals 3lbs of DME. I've been needing something like this to add a small PM to my Buckey Burton ale recipe to get some of those dark fruit flavors,etc that the original was said to have. not to mention,a bit more gravity to equal the originals.
It must be accurate,as I tried the calculator 1st,& pounds of grain X .6 (for DME) = equal amount of DME. Or 5 x .6 =3,concurrent with the chart.

Back