Liquid vs. dry extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collywobbles2014

Reaction score
About to brew my second batch and I have a recipe that calls for liquid extract. My first batch I used dry extract and it came out pretty good. Are there any pros/cons to either?

dme keeps in the pantry... the conversion between LME and DME is easy for most recipes, and i'm all about convenience and things being easy.

DME for me.

:)

I like the cost difference of liquid. I buy from MoreBeer. Ultra light is $11.40/4 lbs vs $13.25/3 lbs of light DME, and I'd still need more.

But I buy plenty of DME if I'm making a wheat beer as they don't sell a wheat LME, as well as for starters.

LME is so much easier to work with, but for whatever reason (maybe it's in my head) I always seem to get a better flavor in the finished product when I use DME.

I think they both have their pains; trying to get the sticky goo out of the (canister/bag/whatever) for LME or the steam causing issues when trying to whisk in the DME. It's all still fun though. It is *MUCH* easier to have DME on hand and do additions when you want in partial amounts rather than having to do partial bits of a 3.3lb LME canister. One man's opinion.

I don't use a lot of extract but I do like to keep a few jugs of LME on hand. It stores just as well as molasses. I'm one of those who likes to experiment and some of that is with PM. It is also handy when you are a bit short on grain and just have to brew up something.

I think they both have their pains; trying to get the sticky goo out of the (canister/bag/whatever) for LME or the steam causing issues when trying to whisk in the DME. It's all still fun though. It is *MUCH* easier to have DME on hand and do additions when you want in partial amounts rather than having to do partial bits of a 3.3lb LME canister. One man's opinion.

You brought up an excellent point about the LME cans. I'd avoid them like the plague, they have been sterilized and could be older than the shelf they sit on. The hopped varieties can be roundout nasty.

The LME I was referring to is being poured into a plastic bag from large plastic drums while you wait. The brewshop needs a decent turnover so it's as fresh as possible. Hopefully it wasn't stored in 100°F warehouse for 3 months, or longer.

Can I use honey in place of Malt Extract as the Malt extract is available in huge quantities which I cannot buy now

Can anyone suggest?????

Can I use honey in place of Malt Extract as the Malt extract is available in huge quantities which I cannot buy now

Can anyone suggest?????

Honey can be used in place of DME as a priming sugar. Using honey in place of DME or LME for the body of the beer will not work to well. Honey is 100% fermentable. Beer made from honey will be very high in alcohol, dry, tasteless, and watery thin.
If honey is available in quantity perhaps making mead might be an alternative to making beer.

MoreBeer sells LME in 4,5,6,7, etc. lb bags of LME, though one of them they also offer in a 3 lb bag. And everyone offers DME in 1,2,3 lb bags.

You can use up to about 2 lbs of honey in a typical batch of beer, but after that it gets a bit too thin and wine like, and I don't care so much for it.

Back