Liquid Malt - healthstore Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onerainmaker

Reaction score
Hello all...

I've started a new job working for a herbal remedies place, and one of the things they produce is malt - straight up, or with flavourings and other things also.

The question is - is it usable in homebrew? It's free for staff, so as my motto is 'owt for nowt' (thanks northern Englander talk for anything for nothing!).

I'll probably try a brew anyway, but the obvious thing is I have no idea how to tell if its light, extra light etc., relatively speaking!

Thank you!

Chris

I never realized that there was a use for liquid malt outside of brewing - what do the people buying it from the store use it for?

I would say it is at least worth a few experimental batches to see if it work for you. If they make it there, you may be able to find out what types of grains go into producing it, and from there someone on here might be able to figure out what homebrew LME it is closest to.

If it does end up being good for brewing, just don't take so much of it for free that they decide you need to start paying for it!

I never realized that there was a use for liquid malt outside of brewing - what do the people buying it from the store use it for?

For some godforsaken reason, people choose to "eat" it neat, on a slice of bread or something. Health benefits, they say. But then....that's why I drink beer :mug:

For some godforsaken reason, people choose to "eat" it neat, on a slice of bread or something. Health benefits, they say. But then....that's why I drink beer :mug:

I laughed at first, but then I thought that actually sounded like it might be delicious. I had a boilover last night when I was making a yeast starter with some DME - my whole house smelled like toasted marshmallows...

Considering you're in the land of people who consume a good amount of Malt Loaf, I would believe people also somehow eat liquid malt.

You can try it. I'm sure it'll ferment. Try using just the malt and some hops.

Back