Liquid CO2 vs Gas CO2 force carbonating Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombujo

Reaction score
Hi,
Although this question is regarding kombucha I feel it is a general question and possibly also applying to beer.
I am force carbonating kombucha in corny keg with liquid CO2. Result is too foamy when bottling with blichmann beer gun. CO2 pressure either too little to get kombucha from keg or too much creating foam.
My question at this point is whether it is possibly due to be using liquid CO2 for carbonation and bottling? I have not had this occur when using gas/compressed CO2.
Many thanks
Kombujo

Accurately carbonating with liquid CO2 is much more difficult than using gas. With liquid CO2, you don't have a simple way to control the pressure and small changes in volume can cause large changes in pressure.

Thanks for your speedy responses.

I am in India and here only liquid CO2 is available. This converts to gas when released from cylinder.

I will keep on with the experiments.

Exactly how are you getting liquid CO2 into the liquid?

That's what I am wondering. We all have liquid CO2 in our cylinders. Can you give more details like what pressure and temp you are carbonating at and what is your exact teqnique with the beer gun - length of line, do you purge and reset the pressure, etc.

Back