Linux... A year later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I'm going back to Windows and here is why...

Just over a year ago I had a laptop crap out on me. The thing was less then 2 years old and, of course, out of warranty. I swore off laptops. Off I went to build a PC. Along the way I decided this would be a good chance to give Linux a real try. This means a Linux only option in the house. Not a dual boot and not an extra computer that I could sometime use. Here I am a year later with a solid year of running Ubuntu and only Ubuntu.

I am pretty good with computers. I've been able to save several OS from a reformat for my friends (mostly with CCleaner and MBam which are both fantastic programs). I've been through more reformats than I'd like to say. I have also built a couple of PCs from parts. With this said, I am not a programmer, et al.

What have I learned over the last year? There are things that you have to worry about with a Microsoft machine that you don't have to worry about on a Linux machine. If you use a computer just for the internet you will be more than happy with Ubuntu. Actually, you might be better off with Ubuntu because you don't have to worry about malware and viruses.

There is a lot of software you use on a Windows machine that has Linux versions that are every bit as good. There is also software that just has crappy outdated versions for Linux or even no Linux option at all. Some software can be run on Wine and it works but it only kinda works. It's wierd things like the resolution isn't right, or the hotkeys are disabled. A lot of this can be corrected but it takes time.

This is my problem with Linux. Things need to be tweaked. There is quality software out there but it doesn't just work like it does on a Windows machine. Some tweaking is easy and quick. It's not usually that easy though. The next step is Google. I've spent hours on end trying to figure something out. Usually, someone out there has asked the same question. There are a lot of unanswered threads and there are also a lot of threads with a fix that worked for the OP but don't work for me. My favorite ones are when an Admin berates the OP for not searching before asking a question but then I can't find anything in a search.

I want software to work like it's supposed to when I download it. I want to run Google Earth, Sketchup, MS Office (Open Office works but it isn't MSOffice). I don't want to worry about whether the webcam I found on sale will work right. I'm sick of searching for things like why does my computer freeze for thirty seconds because I went to some random web site with lots of Java.

Yeah, I ran a Gentoo server for a while, and recently converted it to Ubuntu because I was sick of compiling and configuring every little thing. I would never use Linux as a desktop though. It is just too much of a PITA. I work in IT professionally, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is to have to fix a borked package upgrade. Great for home servers, but terrible for desktop systems!

P.S. I actually love Linux, just not as a desktop.

I'd use Linux as a desktop on a machine that only had to have basic functions, like surfing, etc. I have a friend who runs it on his computers except when he needs Windows for playing games like WoW. Otherwise he usually loads WINE and runs whatever he needs there.

But I'm just not as capable in Linux, and there are problems with making things work and finding how HOW TO do things online. Most of the "support" for software that I've seen is written as if you already know everything about Linux, and even if you find a nice step-by step tutorial, you could be screwed if it's not your particular flavor of Linux. (I run Slackware or Ubuntu, and a lot of stuff is written for RH) Yeah, they are similar, but locations and scripts are not always compatible.

It's been a while since I ran a Linux Desktop. I've loaded Slackware as a server recently again. I've been running a Slackware web/email/etc server for years and it's been pretty good. It takes a while to get stuff set up and configured properly.

I tried Linux for a while after building my computer because I wanted to save the 100+ bucks on Windows 7. I had a very similar experience. Using the internet and OpenOffice was great and easy, but installing/using a lot of other programs was tough and required tons of research to figure out how to fix it. I was also into gaming and that really doesn't work on Linux.

On the other hand, I installed Linux on an old computer that was on its last legs and it really revamped it. It ran so much faster than Windows. If you have an old computer that you just want to use for internet/email/office, then Linux is a good option.

If you have a copy of Windows on hand, you can install VirtualBox and run Windows on a virtual machine. It is a little sketchy for games because you are allocating ram, video memory, etc, but anything that doesn't require video drivers works great. You can also copy and paste text between Windows and Linux.

I still get to use Ubuntu for surfing basic tasks and can do my word processing, and run .exe's in Windows. The most frustrating thing has been trying to get my printer to work. Its a Konica Minolta 1350W, but I would assume most brands wouldn't have a problem. The internet still works when plugged into a LAN. I just switched to wireless, and haven't needed to Google how to make that work yet.

I tried running dual boot Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux back in 99. I accidentally mounted the entire hard drive on to itself and erased both partitions. That was it with me and linux.

It's too bad because Linux is a great concept and excellent for networking but it doesn't have the support built up by major hardware manufacturers and software producers to make it enticing as a home computer option. Maybe as things progress more into the cloud and our personal computers become more like terminals than computers running installed software linux will be a more economic option to power a laptop or tablet device.

I have to say I'm surprised to read this thread. My experience with Ubuntu has been pretty much the opposite.
I got my copy of Ubuntu (9.10) on December 2009. A few days later, I joined http://ubuntuforums.org/.
Ever since, I had started only 17 threads in there, and at least a couple of them were my mistakes.
As of today, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 exclusively in my laptop, and dual boot with Windows 7 on my desktop, with the only purpose of running Solidworks.
I use my laptop not only for the Internet, but also to copy/create CD's and DVD's, to make business cards, design electronic PCB's, run Brewtarget and QBrew, do all my "Office" work on Open Office (and love its simplicity), manage my pictures, etc.
The only problems I couldn't solve with Ubuntu were Limewire/Frostwire and Solidworks, so I have my desktop specifically dedicated to them. For all the rest, I wouldn't touch Windows with a 10 ft. stick.

Back