Lines for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I'm going to be racking my beer over to a keg for the first time tomorrow. My biggest concern is the length of the lines that I have. I believe I have 6' gas lines and 5' beer lines. Is this going to be bad? I've been reading a lot about adjusting psi to get foam down, so I was thinking about going with 10 psi at the beginning. Does that sound about right and does it sound like I could have a problem with foaming?

I am a noob also, but I don't think the gas line length is any issue. As long as it reaches you c02 tank.

I have 10 ft of 3/16 ID beer line and I was still having a foam issue. I just installed the 10 ft, put my c02 on 8 psi. I have a slow pour, but the foam issue went away (for the most part). They first few oz's of beer from every pour is dumped. After that, drink on. I can live with the slow pour for a better glass.

To answer your question, 5 ft of beer line will work if you adjust your psi down.

I have 6' lines and have no problems, the majority on here believe 10' is minimum, I don't.
5' may be tricky, but can work.

The main thing is not to think of psi as a way to control foaming. It doe the EXACT opposite. Once a beer is carbed, it needs a certain amount of pressure to stay in solution, turning down the psi allows c02 to escape and will cause foaming, and you lose carbonation.

The important thing is to match the beer temp(in the fridge/freezer) with the correct psi for the carbonation level you want. Here's a chart. http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Thanks for the chart! I'll try it and if I have to I'll get longer beer lines. Thanks for the response everyone. :mug:

Back