Line was balanced, but now it’s foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says: I have four kegs all at the same pressure on one gas manifold, all with the same length (10’ EVABarrier) tubing. All four lines were pouring just fine until a couple of weeks ago, but now one of the four is pouring 100% foam. Problem persists even when the keg is changed.

My best guess is there’s some sort of crud in the shank or the faucet causing a severe constriction … does that fit? Anything else I should try before taking the faucet apart?

I have the exact same issue. New kegerator with Sanke connection. Added an extra 8 feet of beer line, so it is about 10-11 feet of beer line now, going up through a tower. Replaced the tap with a Perlick, not sure if the was a help or not, but I had some on have from taking the keezer apart. Got the lines balanced pretty good, first pour would have a little foam, assume it was warmer beer in the tower. Second pour was good. Now I have constant foam, and I am thinking it is happening at the tap. PSI set to 12lbs, and about a 5 second pour on the pint. Don't think I can go much slower, as it seems to be fighting to get out of the tap right now. Also, can't see bubbles in the tube while pouring, so again looking at the tap as the cause. Going to try to pull the tap apart or change it out with one of the others on hand. Also have a Nukatap flow control on the way, but would like to get it balanced at the tap first. Any thoughts?

What is the line ID?
A five second pint is hella rapid imo. I tuned my lines for a ten second pour.
10-11 feet of 3/16" (~5mm) should be effective. 1/4" not so much...

Cheers!

3/16. Not sure if I could get it any slower. it seems to barely be falling out now, but that might be due to all the foam. 5 seconds might be a little short, but I don't think it is 10, will have to count tonight. Might get up to about 8 if it was pushing liquid, but the foam takes up half the glass. As stated, the lines were working fine a week ago after the first pull, now I am lucky if I get under 1 inch head, and I am being careful, wet glass, side pour, no drop, etc.

I once had a similar issue, which turned out to be the liquid line connector. Once I replaced it with a new one, the problem went away.

This is a brand new Sanky hookup. I am thinking it is in the tap, as I don't see bubbles in the line during the pour. Going to change the tap tomorrow to see if there is gunk in it, and have a cheater flow control tap in the mail if all else fails.

Argh.

To summarize, I've tried two different kegs: too much foam for both.
Switched out the liquid quick disconnect: didn't help. (If anything, more foam.)
Tubing had odd discoloration on it where it inserted into the beer nut coupling. Clipped it off. No improvement.
Shank is clear.
Disassembled the faucet: nothing obviously wrong. Cleaned and reassembled, still foamy.

Reiterate: all three other lines on this manifold, with the same backing pressure and same liquid line tubing, are just fine.

I'm at my wits' end here, but I'm working with "if anything, more foam," and assuming that both the original liquid-line connecter and the one I swapped in are bad. Going to order another few. Got nothing else.

Argh.

To summarize, I've tried two different kegs: too much foam for both.
Switched out the liquid quick disconnect: didn't help. (If anything, more foam.)
Tubing had odd discoloration on it where it inserted into the beer nut coupling. Clipped it off. No improvement.
Shank is clear.
Disassembled the faucet: nothing obviously wrong. Cleaned and reassembled, still foamy.

Reiterate: all three other lines on this manifold, with the same backing pressure and same liquid line tubing, are just fine.

I'm at my wits' end here, but I'm working with "if anything, more foam," and assuming that both the original liquid-line connecter and the one I swapped in are bad. Going to order another few. Got nothing else.

Can you use a known good connector from one of the other kegs?

It was the keg (both kegs?) Anyhow, I opened the keg, removed the out post and dip tube, cleaned them (though both looked totally fine) and reassembled. Problem is gone.

Back