Lima Bean Honey??/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking to a local apiary who only had 5g tubs of Lima Bean honey available. The good news is he was willing to deliver it to me, bad news is I don't know what it is and I doubt it sounded good for mead.

I'm a mead n00b, so I don't know crap about honey - but lima beans??

I find very little reference anywhere about lima bean honey in general (other than it's very light, almost clear) but nothing about mead.

Help??!?!?!?!? :)

Well I think you just might have hit the jack pot!

All beans are legumes. Clover's are legumes, all legumes produce a light and delicious honey. To be called a lima bean honey the bees must have been placed in a large field of lima beans blossoms. Just like clover honey, the bees are placed in the clover field at blossom time. I routinely harvest soybean honey each year, it is a light lemon yellow colored honey that is sweet and very tasty.

Consider yourself lucky to have a beek that will deliver....give him a bottle when finished. He will remember you next year when he has high moisture honey he needs to sell cheap! :tank:

I have to say lima bean honey sounds both disgusting and intriguing. I say taste it, and if it's good make some mead with that sumbitch.

I passed on it for now. The person is from another state and happened to be driving by on his way to xmas other things.

As much as I would have liked to try it - a 60# tub is just too much for an 'unknown' like that for me.

I will, however, give a 1g batch a shot with this honey down the line.

thanks all!

Back