lil help with specialty grains for partial mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys, I moved back to brazil and I am having problems with the limitations of malt found here. Im not ready for all grain for the next couple of months at least, so I managed to bring 2 cans of coopers hopped extract kit in my suitcase for the mean time. (yeah, not to many hops here too).
I want to do mini mash with both recipes, one is a draught and the other one is an australian bitter.
I want to mash pilsen malt for the draught and pale ale for the bitter, but I need help with some nice specialty grains to be used with those, any idea???

for the record - pale ale (and all specialty) is over 2x the price of pilsen

what i have available right now would be Munich, Vienna, Chocolate, Caraamber, Lager malt, Pilsen, Aroma 100, Cararoma, carahell, carapils, carared, caramunich, Melanoidia, Caramalte, Coffe, wheat, barley, acidic.

its about that. if you have a suggestion tell me the malt and the weight, I'll adjust the base grains with the beersmith.

I want to keep the draught as light as possible adding some body, the bitter I dont really care if it goes a little dark LOL.

thanks for the help guys.

oh, and of course ill use aroma hops for those :mug:

Well, here's what I would probably do;

If you want the draught as light as possibly, you could mash 3-4lbs pilsen and maybe 1 lb or less of vienna. Depending on what you want the gravity to be. But then I'd probably do the whole chile beer thing with it, being in brazil and all.

For the bitter, maybe 3-4lbs pilsen (since it's cheaper, its good for any base) and then it depends what style you want also, and what gravity, there are a ton of "dark" styles. For a dryer beer, maybe a stout, add some chocolate and roast barley? For a red, you could go with some carared or caraamber or caramalte or any of the cara's, and some munich, 1/2 pound of each?

It really depends what you want the end result to be and you could always try roasting your own if there is a shortage. Definately use some fresh hops if available,

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Hey buddy, thanks a lot. I think ill do what u said and this time I'll try to go red with the bitter. But I have a question tough. What did u mean with "the whole chile beer thing" I have no idea what that is lol . Thx again

For the Pilsen Brew, introduce a pound of Munich and a 1/2 pound of Cara-Munich.

Latest posts

Back