Like water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zider

Reaction score
Brewing too late at night too close to new years day, put 5 extra liters water into 20L pilsner kit
Should I add 25% more sugar or malt or just leave it? I am after saving taste more than anything. Kit said 16l water, kilo sugar (I used dextrose) plus the kit. I put in 21L water.
Cheers!

I'm thinking can of light malt extract? Just won't be very hoppy. But truth be told I don't like pils much because is too hoppy Only got it as is only lager kit by Brewferm by whom I now swear.

I'd just be worried about too much sugar especially if you've already added sugar with the kit.

Well damage is done now one can malt added . My new concern is that yeast is out of shape. It was frozen for a year and starter wasn't on top form but was all I had over holiday period when all HB shops shut. It's not roaring ahead. First time I got lager temp right. 9c. I thought maybe adding more sugar would make it less sluggish.

See days 1-3.

image-4239137040.jpg

image-2549397369.jpg

image-272187304.jpg

I've had a batch I topped off with a tad bit too much water. It was .002 below OG and ended up being only .001 from the target FG. Beer came out just fine. I also just bottled a batch of american wheat that had sluggish yeast. I didn't have the patience to wait so I pitched more yeast that barely rdy to be pitched(think they were a bad pick at the LHBS), I gave it an extra 3-4 days to ferment and it still hit FG. Only scary part to me was seeing some yeast floating. In your pics it looks like you'll have the same floaters chilling at the top during the last part of the fermentation.

You're beer will still turn out just fine.

Pitching some extra yeast from Munich lager smack pack in 2L starter. Ferment not picking up speed Can't see the harm.

That seemed to have sorted the bugga. Yeast was pretty fresh...packaged a month ago Day 5 when I pitched the yeast and day 5 and half attached. Bubbling like a beauty now. Pilsners are just hoppy lagers right? So maybe I found a cheap way to get more beer (lager) from less kit??!! 3 months and I'll know....different hop type I believe so maybe just watery pils.

image-3036484356.jpg

image-1539636526.jpg

Back