Like a kid at christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
Hey guys (women also included in that since I'm from new jersey) I just bottled my second batch of brew on Saturday . Today is Monday . I tasted my "flat" brew before I bottled it and it tasted fine (no sour apple taste or skunky smells) but I can't stand the wait! I want to try it now. Just to see if everything is doing ok. Should I wait til my "Christmas" or can I take a peak?

Wait. I realize it's hard to wait for the first couple brews, but if you just brew everytime you want to drink, then you'll have a nice pipeline going in no time. I've had beers in bottles for a few months now that I haven't even touched because I have others to drink.

If you rush it and drink a flat beer, then you'll be upset you didn't wait when you're out. 2 week minimum before I'd try them.

Aww, it's your beer and if you want to drink that nasty green beer, go ahead. It won't be carbonated right yet and it certainly won't taste like it should but it will give you an idea of where it's headed and a nice buzz to boot. Just don't sample too much or too often so you run out before it ever gets mature.

You're going to do it anyway, so try to wait until Friday before you pop one in the fridge. Open it Saturday and get a feel for where you're at.
Meanwhile, try to make sure they're conditioning at 70F. It will speed up carbonation. If you used 12 oz bottles, you might even have some fizz!

BTW, what did you brew?

Cheers!

I brew an Eba. Right now I'm just using kits until I get something I like . I waited 3 weeks on my first batch . I gotta wait.

Resist the urge to taste it too early....

Use the time to research many different craft brews ( and collect bottles) The beer will only improve with at least 3 weeks in the bottle. You can drink it eRly but why waste the bottles of green beer when if you wait you will be rewarded with ,any more great brews.

The choice is yours.

My 1st AG has been in bottles for two weeks (on this coming Weds) I tried it one week from bottling and got nervous. Now I'm paranoid despite knowing better. Being a Porter, I have the feeling I shouldn't touch this thing again until at least 4 weeks...

One brew at a time...

It's so hard!!! They just keep staring at me!

The problem is (and the reason we see so many "is my beer bad?" threads) that if you taste it early, it's not going to taste right.

Then, as mhenry stated, you'll start to get paranoid that your beer is bad. You'll start asking all sorts of useless questions that have been asked 1000 times of this forum, and two weeks later, you'll finally figure out the beer is fine. That is...if you haven't done something in the meantime to "fix" the "bad" beer.

Just wait.

I know I know :D this my seond batch the first one I was real patient a Lil less with the second... Imma wait. No doubt about it. It's just that I didn't care about the first one like the old " well if it dont work then what ever" but it was FANTASTIC! Now I am so amped up for this one. I will wait. My second batch is bottled and my third has now been fermenting since Saturday. This one is an American pale ale.

I just did my first home brew 2 sundays ago and I am dying to get that in the keg. nothing like waiting.

I brewed my 1st around the end of January,have to wait till 3/6 to finish a 3 week aging/carbing. Then, a 4th week in the fridge,so it'll be Sunday 3/13 before I can finally try that one. My second is in primary now,since 2/21. I'll be damn lucky if I can get one far enough along to try on my b-day the 31st. Ya gotta have the patience of Job to do this brewing hobby right...:mug:

Back