Lighting situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
So, the only room in my house that I can keep at a constant suitable fermentation temp is my bedroom (our central AC is busted and the previous owners had a wall unit there.) Light comes in through the windows all day long. My beer is in primary, in one of those Ale Pale buckets from any ol' kit, but will be moving to secondary in a glass carboy decently soon.

I made a makeshift light blocker out of a big cardboard box, but some light still gets in. So my question is - how much light is acceptable to touch your beer during fermentation??

Thanks!!

(Also - the hallway smells like the yeast I pitched. I'm assuming this isn't anything to worry about, but just to make sure - is that normal/ok??)

As little sunlight as possible, but in a bucket it isn't a big concern.

Throw a dark t-shirt over your glass carboy to help keep light out.

UV light will skunk your beer, so you definitely want to steer clear a clear carboy from sunlight.:D

During fermentation, you don't want to cover it with any kind of insulator. The fermentation is an exothermic reaction: a lot of heat is given off. The fermenter will increase 5-10 F if you cover it.

Wrapping it with tinfoil is the best option here. Good idea, Cat.

Tin foil would be an insulator as well, but if you're keeping it somewhere cool enough you should be fine.

I use dark colored bath towels for mine. Agree, no direct sunlight and as little as possible man-made lights as some can be harmful as well if given time.

Back