Lighter crystal malts sweeter than darker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
I've read lately that lighter crystal malts are sweeter than darker, but was always under the impression that it was the other way around...that darker crystal malts have more pronounced flavors, roasty, raisiny, etc. What's your experience?

I ask because my problem lately is balancing bitterness in my pales. My next is an american pale with an OG of 1.054, 93% 2 row, 7% Crystal 40, about 40 IBUs. Aiming for a well balanced, maybe slightly dry / hop forward.

Any thoughts?

THanks in advance...I've sorta been out of the brew scene for a while.

you're correct. the darker malts have stronger character to them. when they say that the lighter crystals have a sweeter taste, they refer to the idea of a more sugary flavor, like maple syrup, without so much other character to it, as opposed to a darker sugar, like molasses.

the pale recipe sounds ok. i'd consider getting some malt depth from adding a portion of vienna or even a very small amount of munich. domestic 2 row is a little bland without something to punch it up a little. that should give you a little more malt sweetness in the final beer to balance out the hops.

That would make sense, With the darker malts you have more sugar caramelized, which brings them closer to carbon, not sugar.

Back