Lighter Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HereFerbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys had my first all grain run through the other day and overall it went great, the bucket is bubbling as we speak. Like anything I now know some things that I could have done better but that's the learning process. My question: After boiling (btw...this should be a true winter ale seeing as how my keg boiled on a fire as snow came down around us) I had less overall wort as expected. I had about 4.25 gallons and was expecting 5 gallons. Being a man who wants to finish right what he started I added about .75 gallons to get it up to 5 gallons (and also to help cool it). Will this in effect make a "lighter" beer? I was originally going for around 8.1% so I'm hoping this might just throw it down a few notches, which I can handle.

No, this first time around I just followed the recipe as close as possible and hoped for the best, plus I still need to purchase a hydrometer. However, I can tell you that according to the recipe the OG should be 1.080 and FG should be 1.018. I don't know if that helps, seeing as I didn't follow the recipe exactly anyway (added the water)??

The amount of wort is one thing, but in all grain the amount of sugar you extract from the grain (efficiency) really matters the most. Without a gravity, it's a tough call.

Regardless of that, topping off to 5 gallons will give you a lower final ABV, than you would have had with 4.25.

Ok thanks guys, I guess this time out I'll just have to wait and try the final product and in the mean time work on getting some calculations for next round through.

Most people top up before the boil but I'm sure the way you've done it would be fine. I think if I topped up in the fermenter I'd want to use preboiled or spring water.

Back