lightbulb light bad for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickv

Reaction score
Hola! I'm new here and fairly new to brewing (about 10 batches in 12 years). I brew in my cold garage, and have an insulated cabinet with a thermostat and a light bulb for a heater that has worked great with an opaque plastic bucket as my primary. Video here:

If I switch to a clear glass carboy as my primary, will the light from one 40w bulb be bad for my beer? Could I change the color of my bulb or do I need to somehow cover my carboy?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Nick V.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think thats gonna add much heat.Some say it gives beer a skunky taste but IMO the skunky taste comes from being too warm.So i think your good.

You're fine with incandescent bulb light. The only issue would be with flourescent bulb.

I remember someone that used a light bulb covered with a metal coffee can to keep the interior of his sailboat from freezing in the winter. I assume the coffee can can still radiate and convect heat, but no light gets out.

FWIW, I've had great success with a water bath and an aquarium heater. My basement is in the high 50's during the winter and I have no problem keeping an ale at 68F.

I started out using the "brew belt" appliance on my fermentation buckets, because my basement runs in the high '50s - low '60s during the winter. However, I dropped the use of the belt when I realized (except for Belgians) I was better off just chilling to <70F then pitching. The beer ferments just fine, and no runaway krausen foaming out of the airlock, great attenuation, etc. The fermentation process is exothermic (gives off heat) and keeps the liquid in the fermenter warm enough. With a Belgian, I'll strap on the belt after the initial few days of fermentation die down, to provide the recommended higher temperatures.

Thanks for the replies all. I guess I will just give it a shot as is. My garage get's way too cold to do nothing. I do like the look of those ceramic heaters though dantodd, I wonder if they are ok with a lot of cycling on and off? Cheers! Nick V.

Latest posts

Back