Light infected Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just wondering... Will a yeast starter that has seen the daylight for an extended amount of time maybe 6-12 hours produce off flavors in a beer brewed in total darkness ? Is there research on this ?

I'm just wondering... Will a yeast starter that has seen the daylight for an extended amount of time maybe 6-12 hours produce off flavors in a beer brewed in total darkness ? Is there research on this ?

Yeast is unaffected by light as far as I know. I mean direct UV light may stun it or stress it, but that would be a little different than just being in a room with daylight.

Starter wort is highly oxidized, therefore tastes rather bad. Cold crashing a starter and decanting the wort minimizes the off flavors added to the fermentor.

Besides the fact that it is the beer not the yeast that gets skunked. I prefer to cold crash the starter and decant the liquid. What is left is a tiny percentage of the wort it's going into. So even if it was skunked it would not affect the beer to much of an extent.

Back