Light infected Yeast starter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I'm just wondering... Will a yeast starter that has seen the daylight for an extended amount of time maybe 6-12 hours produce off flavors in a beer brewed in total darkness ? Is there research on this ?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just wondering... Will a yeast starter that has seen the daylight for an extended amount of time maybe 6-12 hours produce off flavors in a beer brewed in total darkness ? Is there research on this ?
Yeast is unaffected by light as far as I know. I mean direct UV light may stun it or stress it, but that would be a little different than just being in a room with daylight.

OP
F
Reaction score
I like to add just a couple pellets in my starters personally.. Okay cool cool Thankyou!

flars

Reaction score
Starter wort is highly oxidized, therefore tastes rather bad. Cold crashing a starter and decanting the wort minimizes the off flavors added to the fermentor.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Besides the fact that it is the beer not the yeast that gets skunked. I prefer to cold crash the starter and decant the liquid. What is left is a tiny percentage of the wort it's going into. So even if it was skunked it would not affect the beer to much of an extent.