Light green hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukkafree

Reaction score
A question for experianced hop growers out there..... I harvested the top of my bines recently, got a good yeild from my first year rhizomes. Question is the hops are still forming on the bottom half of my plant are extremely light green kind of deformed, but packed with lupulin, should i harvest or give them more time? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409963739.257961.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409963774.411146.jpg
Normal cone is on the left

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Love here. Haha. Questions to ask yourself...

1) Do they smell like the hops that you think are ready to be harvested? If so pick them.

2). How big of a crop do you have? Commercial growers have a combination of hops in their harvest. Ones that are 'perfect', ones that are over done, and ones that are underdone. The key is average and percentage. You want the majority to be in the perfect range. The others will average out

Hopefully this helps!

Love here. Haha. Questions to ask yourself...

1) Do they smell like the hops that you think are ready to be harvested? If so pick them.

2). How big of a crop do you have? Commercial growers have a combination of hops in their harvest. Ones that are 'perfect', ones that are over done, and ones that are underdone. The key is average and percentage. You want the majority to be in the perfect range. The others will average out

Hopefully this helps!

Haha ....i have harvested so far 2lbs wet cascade and 2 lbs wet centennial a little over 10 oz of each dried.... They are first year rhizomes... So as long as they smell like hops ... Use them???ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410221280.849611.jpg

Haha..... Just want to make sure i wont ruin a batch, or waste time harvesting.... So far approx 10 oz dry of cascade and centennial.... At least a pound( wet) still on the bine of each. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410221469.348519.jpg top of the plantImageUploadedByHome Brew1410221497.476743.jpg bottom

Double post .... Sorry dang phone

Back