Light fruit beers with no fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew a beer for a friend of mine who's coming over for New years. I'm still quite new to trying out some of the new world hops but I'm noting a lot of fruit descriptions for the hops and so I'm hoping to use those flavours to design a beer just for him (a 1 gallon batch).

My mate loves fruit beers, (Hoegaarden Peach being one of his favourites), but he hates bitterness in a beer. So I'm looking for a fruity hop with very little bitterness for this beer.

I'm not sure I have the know how or the equipment to make a lager for him but all other suggestions will be more than greatfully recived. Extract or all grain.

a maris otter and simcoe SMaSH makes a peachy/mango beer (with slight hints of pineapple) when consumed in the 1st few weeks after carbonation. after about 2 months in the bottle it turns into more of a cascade taste- orange and grapefruit coming through at that point. really tropical tasting. here's my 1 gallon batch:

Maris/Simcoe SMaSH (1 gallon) 86% efficiency
1.75 lbs Maris Otter
.1 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA 60 mins
.1 oz Simcoe 20 mins
.1 oz Simcoe 10 mins
.1 oz Simcoe 1 mins
US 05 yeast

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.013

Bottling taste seriously tasted like peach nectar. It's a little hoppy but not really that bitter. Have had really good reviews by everyone who has tasted it so far (not many though because its only 1 gallon so ~9 bottles).

Thanks brewbeery. After reading your post I started a near impossible search for Simoce in the UK. Being told that it was right next to the rocking horse S##t. I lucked upon what I think is the last 200g! Will try out your recipe and let you know how I get one!

How about a wheat with corriander and sweet orange peel, which is the basics of a Hoegarrden, with just a hint of peach extract.

The wheat style is typically barely hopped with a low AA nobel hop.

I know a gay couple who love all sorts of crappy commerical fruit beers and I desperately try to wean them onto good beers, so this is what I brewed for them. I got Lychees more than anything. But yes, very good, will make it again.

Latest posts

Back