Light / Amber Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Ok, I have started drinking my Honey Brown All Grain from NB. And while it is a good beer, it is not what I wanted it to be. So, I am on the hunt for some info and help.

I think I want to move this toward a light or amber ale, maybe even a blond or cream ale base then add some honey malt to get the honey flavor. I have never used Honey malt before and would like to know how much to use to get a mild to low medium honey flavor.

I would like to keep the grains to:

2-Row
Crystal 40
flaked wheat or barley
and roasted barley

Hops:

Fuggle
Golding
Simcoe
Amarillo

This is where I am starting:

8 lbs. American 2-row
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
1 lbs. Honey Malt
0.10 lbs. Wheat Flaked
0.2 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.48 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
0.50 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 1056 American Ale

So if you could help me from here, that would be great.

Tim

morebeer has a honey ale kit that is very good, jim rossis' honey pale ale. it is pretty light like only 6-7 lbs of two row with 3 lbs of honey.

Honey malt, like Aromatic, is powerfull stuff. Go easy on it. I second the 4 oz in five gallons. A half-pound teeters on the brink of overpowering in such a light grist, and a full pound will be completely one-dimensional, IMO.

Cheers!

Bob

Ok a few more questions / comments:

If I secondary this with a few pounds of honey, will it kick up into a full blown ferment again. If so, can I just leave it in the primary and add the honey at day 10-15. I usually leave my brew on the yeast for 21 days.

How long can I expect the new ferment to last?

Should I drop the amount of base grain, and increase the mash temp to offset the honey?

This is the new grain bill:

7 lbs. American 2-row
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
0.25 lbs. Honey Malt
0.10 lbs. Wheat Flaked

2 lbs honey after primary fermentation is done.

0.2 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.48 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
0.50 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.

Mash Temp 156F 60 min.

Tim

Back