lifetime of a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I got an offer for a 5 year old danby kegerator. I know it has problems including temperature control as the owner says the thermostate only gets down to 55 degrees and then turns off. Not sure if it is problems with temp controller or with the freon. He is pricing this to me for around $75 and includes everything. I would buy a controller II temp controller and mount some fans. Thought on this? How long to the compressors usually last 5, 10 20 years?

As something to salvage parts from $75 is decent. Tower, faucet, reg, especially the CO2 tank if it has a current test. I have no idea how long they last before they need to be retested or if that's an issue for you, around here it's all tank swap for refills.

I'll let others weigh in on repair. Personally I'd probably try to fix expecting it not to work. If it doesn't end up repaired use the parts and convert something else (keezer or mini-fridge).

Latest posts

Back