Life of a 20lb co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto, Picked my last one up in May and it is still 3/4 and we brew weekly to replace what we drink.

I have a 20 pounder and just went through a full-sized keg of Linies Sunset Wheat. The meter is reading just below the "red zone," but I'm pretty sure it's got plenty left as long as there's no leak. How can I tell if it's really about to empty out?

Focus

Focus said:
I have a 20 pounder and just went through a full-sized keg of Linies Sunset Wheat. The meter is reading just below the "red zone," but I'm pretty sure it's got plenty left as long as there's no leak. How can I tell if it's really about to empty out?

Focus

Hmm, I read it should stay at about 800 until it's running low, then it will hit the red zone. I think you have a leak if you've only gone through one keg.

I've pushed two 1/2 bbl kegs and force carbonated/served every 15 gallon batch of beer since last October with a single 20# tank. It's still "in the green."

seefresh said:
Know anyone with a cheap fridge or chest freezer for sale in Dallas, Drunkensatyr?
Damn, I JUST gave my old one away for free about 2 months ago....

Focus said:

Focus
If you have a scale, remove the regulator and put it on the scale. Stamped on the sid of the tank is a Tare Weight, or "TW". That is the weight of the tank when it is empty.

Take the scale reading and subtract the Tare Weight. That's (approximately) the # of pounds you have remaining.

During college, my dad gave me an old co2 tank that was sitting idle in the garage at his office. We hooked that up to our kegerator and it dispensed beer for close to 2 years and we went through about a keg every 2 weeks. So I'd guess somewhere around 90 kegs of commercial beer (didn't drink much beer during winter break or during finals).

But it won't last nearly as long for homebrew because you're not only using the co2 to dispense, you're also using it to carbonate.

When the gage hits 200, get it filled. Since I get 8-10 kegs off of 5 lbs, I suspect you'll see 30-40.

Back