Life changing event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acetg01

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about five years, have increased capacity to my system steadily. And have lots of great brew tools that I have added over time.

Here is the change, I found out that I have Diabetes.

any suggestions? is my brewing career over?

Type I or type II?

If it is type II you can try to get it under control with diet and exercise. I would imagine that will you still need to limit carbs.

My boss has diabetes and we still go out for a few occasionally, I would suggest asking your Doctor. :)

I've seen this alpha-galactosidase enzyme on AHS that is supposed to reduce the number of carbs. I'm not sure how well it works and how you could possibly measure the total carbs (maybe there's a formula out there?). Could be worth a shot:

Austin Homebrew Supply

The management of Type I and Type II are very different, but both allow you to drink moderately.

As far as high-carb vs low-carb diets, it's really something you need to discuss with your doctor, as both can work.

If it's Type II, get out and exercise. Make cals out a bigger number than cals in.

Still probably have to cut back a bit, but no need to stop all together...

If it's type II, find out what your BMI is and get to that weight and exercise 5 days a week. You can beat it, I've seen it done.

I have beaten it, my A1C is between 6.0 and 6.4. I work out a lot and lift a lot of weights, don't drink to excess. I allow myself 16 oz of only the best beer a day. I can do everything I want to, including beer judging. My secret is that I give away a lot of beer.

You don't want to use this "alpha-galactosidase" this is also know as BEANO; it is the exact opposite of want you want to do to control carbs. I takes complex carbs that are hard and take time to digest and makes them very simple glucose that goes right in to your blood stream and causes lot's of spikes.

If its type 1 diabetes it is manageable with proper monitoring but it is with you till you die(unless medicine advances significantly), type 2 can be completely cured with proper diet and exercise. I see no reason that you couldn't keep brewing if you stuck to a healthy diet otherwise. check out the paleo methodology and even the raw food methodology. Both of these expound eating no processed foods(no sugars, no potato chips) and eating food as close to its natural form as possible or completely raw. Lots of greens, healthy meats, and veggies. Both, if adhered to, will regulate the bodies systems and will eliminate the need for insulin control.

most importantly: lose any excess weight you have and spend as little time sitting on your butt as is possible.

I am not a medical professional, nor have I had diabetes. This information is from a lot of reading and research on different dietary paths as well as attempts to help family and friends with this imbalance.

People have been drinking fermented beverages for thousands of years, only recently has our diet gone to crap - so up pops diabetes.

My son is type 1, and he can drink if he watches himself. Tests constantly, monitors everything. We'll go to a hockey game and have a couple. You're gonna have to keep a close eye on how much you drink and what you're eating when you drink. Talk to your doctor, educate yourself, but in the long run, I think you'll still be able drink in moderation.

Back