Lid Replacement Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

There are so many great threads on Keezers it almost seems redundant to post mine. That said, I had a hard time finding non-coffin type keezers where the entire lid was replaced.

I will come back and add some additional pictures and discussion of the steps, but here are the highlights:

1x6 Collar - with two additional cross members to provide support to the lid
2.5" angle brackets to assemble collar and cross members
3/8" Particle Board Top
6x36" Decorative Vinyl Tiles for appearance
1.5" Styrofoam Rigid Insulation
15 Cubic Foot - Room for 8 kegs on the floor
6 taps - not all installed yet, waiting on shanks

This was one of the more satisfying brewing projects I've done, but I will say some aspects were tedious. Cutting that foam insulation is not fun. Also, getting all the gaps covered with foil tape was a pain.

I still need to get the gas and beer lines properly coiled and positioned in the freezer, but that is going to wait until I have the rest of the shanks and faucets.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

Working album of pictures here: https://app.box.com/s/hvaydc8xdwbmr549rhkuqlxklrecopso

20160726_174400.jpg

20160726_173417.jpg

20160726_173305.jpg

I just stumbled across this and it's amazing. I'm rebuilding a coffin style keezer I bought on craigslist for cheap a while back and this is what I want to do. The lid is destroyed from the guy cutting holes in it to feed the beer lines through so I want to make my own wooden lid and traditional collared taps.

Only problem is that the original spring hinges are gone so not sure if I can replace them with something else or what. Thinking to be done.... need a beer... thanks for the inspiration.

I just stumbled across this and it's amazing. I'm rebuilding a coffin style keezer I bought on craigslist for cheap a while back and this is what I want to do. The lid is destroyed from the guy cutting holes in it to feed the beer lines through so I want to make my own wooden lid and traditional collared taps.

Only problem is that the original spring hinges are gone so not sure if I can replace them with something else or what. Thinking to be done.... need a beer... thanks for the inspiration.

Good luck on the project!

I think many chest freezers use similar spring hinges, you could probably take a measurement on the existing holes and find a match. The other option is to use the existing holes and some matching screws to attach a wood plate to the back edge of the freezer. Then you could use whatever hinge screw you want and screw it straight into the wood

I've basically finished mine, at least no major changes lately. I have been very satisfied with the lid design, the seal has been tight, and I don't have much issue with moisture inside (unless I spill something). At some point I think I'll get a second EvaDry so that I can charge one while the other is still working.

20161110_170509.jpg

Good luck on the project!

I think many chest freezers use similar spring hinges, you could probably take a measurement on the existing holes and find a match. The other option is to use the existing holes and some matching screws to attach a wood plate to the back edge of the freezer. Then you could use whatever hinge screw you want and screw it straight into the wood

I've basically finished mine, at least no major changes lately. I have been very satisfied with the lid design, the seal has been tight, and I don't have much issue with moisture inside (unless I spill something). At some point I think I'll get a second EvaDry so that I can charge one while the other is still working.
Is your drip trey made from rain gutter?

Underneath the top of the lid - did you get a foam panel that was already aluminum lined or is that something else?

It was a metalized on one side foam board. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Insulfoam-...ene-Garage-Door-Foam-Board-Insulation/3014190

I don't know that the foil look does anything for performance, but it gives the inside a consistent finish if you seal with the silver tape.

Thanks! I decided to go a slightly different route and use Foamular for the lid but I'm going to put a piece of white FRP facing inside below so inside all you see is white. Appreciate the inspiration and reply!

Latest posts

Back