Lid Popped off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols00

Reaction score
I made some Black IPA on Thursday night, everything went well. On friday I left for my In Laws for the weekend. Now I know that I snapped that lid on tight, but when I got back on Sunday and went into the room I could smell the yeast. So I looked a little closer and it appears the pressure caused the lid to pop open (I have a BB bucket with the airlock on top. The air lock def had some wort in it cause the water looks dirty.

Couple questions...

1 Should I change the water in the air lock back to clean water or just leave it?

2 It still looks and smell good, is there any other way to tell if its bad?

3 what are the chances it stayed good? Not sure when the lid popped, it could have been friday and had a crack on the lid for a few days

Looks like you should have used a blowoff tube

As long as you popped the lid back on, it should be ok. CO2 was constantly flowing out of the container and as long as it went back to bubbling when you popped it back on, should be OK. I;ve had full fermentations with a leaky lid, not fun, but it never got contaminated

As long as it looks/smells alright it should turn out fine. I wouldn't change the airlock if its not clogged and theres still fluid in it. That's just another small risk for contamination you'd be adding

well if nothing unsanitary went into it and its still functioning then why would you?

Clean your air lock and refill it with Starsan solution or cheap vodka.

edit: A dirty air lock is a place for mold to begin growing.

You shouldn't have plain water in the airlock, molds and bacteria can grow in there. Starsan is much better.

I would clean and resanitize the lid and airlock. And wipe the bucket rim with a small washcloth soaked in Starsan before pushing the lid back on.

I popped the lid back on last night, when I get home tonight I will clean out the airlock and put some sanatizer in with the water.

Anything else?

Keep a spray bottle with Starsan around, very handy for spot sanitizing. You can fill the airlock from that bottle.

Good sanitation is your friend.

well if nothing unsanitary went into it and its still functioning then why would you?

because now the beer/wort mixed with the starsan/vodka/water in the air lock is contaminated and could grow infectants. Mixtures of beer/wort/vodka/water/starsan are not sanitary. If the pressures inside the bucket change, there is a chance that the contents of the air lock will be sucked back into the bucket.

because now the beer/wort mixed with the starsan/vodka/water in the air lock is contaminated and could grow infectants. Mixtures of beer/wort/vodka/water are not sanitary. If the pressures inside the bucket change, there is a chance that the contents of the air lock will be sucked back into the bucket.

Only if you over fill the air lock. Preventing suck back is the reason for their unique design.

Back