Lid or no lid? When cooking wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMan83

Reaction score
This is kind of a rookie question, but I just cooked up my 3rd batch and I was wondering if I should put a lid on my pot when cooking my wort? I haven't on the 3 I've cooked so far, and the first one turned out amazing but I noticed this last batch went down significantly as it was boiling, should I have left the lid on the pot?

no, dont put your lid on.. you need the evaporation, boill off!

No lid. Account for boil off when formulating recipes. There are some volatile compounds that should be driven off with a vigorous boil. Most notably, DMS and its precursors need to go away - it causes vegetal/cooked corn flavors.

Leave it off. Like they said above it boils off some nasties that can ruin the flavor and as a side benefit you get an increase in gravity from the water boiling off. It's also extremely easy to boil over with a lid on.

+1 no lid. I put a lid on while chilling only to keep new nastiest out.

I use a lid to trap heat on the way to the boil though, saves a little time

I keep the lid on while heating up to boil (it speeds up the boil) but take it off when it starts boiling. You just can't forget and walk away or a boil over is certain.

My stove is underpowered, so I kind of balance my lid about half-on during the boil to keep everything at an actual boil. Haven't noticed any off flavors from doing that. Last time I also wound up a couple of points high on my OG. (Not sure how that happened... better efficiency than usual, for some reason, I guess.)

My stove is underpowered, so I kind of balance my lid about half-on during the boil to keep everything at an actual boil. Haven't noticed any off flavors from doing that. Last time I also wound up a couple of points high on my OG. (Not sure how that happened... better efficiency than usual, for some reason, I guess.)

I do something similar on my stove, I put the lid on every now and then to ramp the heat off, and usually do a 90 minute boil to compenste for dms blowoff, like I would with a pilsner. Since most of my stovetop beers are experimental beers I submit for contests, so they are usually beers that are judged, I can say the DMS/Corn flavors have NEVER been mentioned in conjunction with these beers.

Thought I read in some reputable brewing reference that boiling should be with the lid on, but not completely covering the pot. I could be imagining this though.

I always boil with the lid off. Man, do I get a huge boiloff during a 60 minute boil; more than the 15% Beersmith specifies as a max.

Back