Licorice Stick vs Licorice Root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!

(First real post on these forums, even though I've been reading for a couple of years (and only registered about a year or so ago))

My brother and I make a beer that uses licorice sticks. But it seems that our local brew shops have a hard time either keeping them in stock or having enough for what we require.

My question is about licorice root (Amazon has a tons of options and their shipping is fast since I am a Prime member.)

Does anyone have any idea how much licorice root to use in place of one licorice stick? And are the flavors similar.

Based on "recommended" amounts of licorice stick, we are WAY off the charts so I'm not looking for the "one stick per 5 gallon" suggestions, just if anyone has any idea about a comparison if we have to convert to using root.

And for full disclosure, we use 8 sticks in a 10 gallon batch. And yes, this beer is totally drinkable and we've gotten some rave reviews from people.

Thanks!

Jason

Looking for some info on using licorice.....I too am interested in your recipe>>>

Any chance of sharing your recipe? Taste description of your beer ?

Thanks

My recipes aren't on the laptop and I haven't had a chance to go to the other computer, but I'd be more than happy to share it.

I was lucky enough to find more licorice stick so as long as my yeast arrives on Friday as promised, I'll be in luck.

Recipe!

SonarFeed Honey Badger Ale - brewed for our friends at SonarFeed, and named after the heart and soul of the Seattle Sounders FC!

24 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Crystal 40
2 lbs Crystal 60
1 lbs Caramunich

2 oz Chinook for 60 minutes
2 tsp Irish Moss for 20 minutes
2 oz Mt Hood for 15 minutes
8 brewer's licorice stick
2 vials Pacific Ale (White Labs #041) yeast

After one week in the primary, transfer to secondary and add approximately 2 pounds of blackberry honey. Bottle in two weeks.

----

HBA is modeled after a shot available at The Berliner in Renton. Honey Badger is a mix of Jagermeister and Barenjaeger.

Back