Liberty Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTypeS

Reaction score
Just brewed my second batch last night, chose the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest supplies. Learned alot from my first batch. Started with 4 gallons of water this time and added 2 gallons of purified water that I had in the freezer (no wort chiller) to bring down to pitching temps. Tasted amazing when I put it in the fermenting bucket. I'm thinking of adding some vanilla when it gets to secondary, someone posted they were doing that and it sounded really good! Now to get more fermenting vessels so I can make more!

Good stuff man! I too have been thinking about brewing up a Cream Ale. Do you think the secondary is really necessary though? Or did you just want to use it to add flavors?

From what I have read it's all up to you, I chose to do It so I could have two beers going at once. It's mostly just for hoping/flavoring and clarity.

Midwest's Liberty Cream was my second brew, as well. I found it to be very tasty! Since then, I've also brewed Northern's Cream Ale, and found it to be even better. In fact, I've got the ingredients on-hand to brew up a batch of Northern's Cream Ale in the near future! Enjoy!

glenn514:mug:

I've been drinking the Liberty Cream from Midwest for a couple weeks, and it's very good! I am going to make it again soon, but this time it will be an AG batch.. I'm hoping it will taste the same as the extract batch did!

Thanks for the heads up! Im looking even more forward to this one being ready! How long did you guys let it sit in primary, secondary, and bottle before drinking?

Primary: eight days
Secondary: eight days
Bottle Conditioning: seven days...but it DID taste a bit "young." And I was learning patience!!!

After another couple of weeks bottle conditioning, it was VERY good!

glenn514:mug:

I did the ol' 1-2-3 method on that batch.. 1 week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning. I no longer secondary now, so my next batch will sit in the primary for a month and then bottle condition 2 to 5 weeks...

I did the ol' 1-2-3 method on that batch.. 1 week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning. I no longer secondary now, so my next batch will sit in the primary for a month and then bottle condition 2 to 5 weeks...

After a month in the primary you might want to sample one at one week. I found that a stout that primaryed for 4 1/2 weeks seemed to mature quite well and was rather good at one week in the bottle and stouts usually take longer to mature in the bottle than a cream ale.:rockin:

After a month in the primary you might want to sample one at one week. I found that a stout that primaryed for 4 1/2 weeks seemed to mature quite well and was rather good at one week in the bottle and stouts usually take longer to mature in the bottle than a cream ale.:rockin:

I always sample after one week of bottle conditioning, mainly because I'm to impatient to wait.. Some of my beers taste great at that point, and if they're carbed up good I just start drinking them. If not I let them condition longer. I actually have a chocolate stout that has been in the primary for 27 days now. I'm going to bottle it this weekend.. The Liberty Cream extract batch I did had a really quick turn-around.. I was drinking that one after about 10 - 12 days in the bottle. It actually seems to be the favorite amongst my friends.. The only problem now is I only have about 8 more bottles left! Gotta order another batch of it soon!!! :tank:

I have the MWS cream ale in my primary right now. It turned out a little darker than I was expecting it to. According to their catalog it is supposed to be lighter than their Honey Ale but that is just straight out wrong.

I have the MWS cream ale in my primary right now. It turned out a little darker than I was expecting it to. According to their catalog it is supposed to be lighter than their Honey Ale but that is just straight out wrong.

Mine was darker too...I think that's because of adding the LME at the start. Alot of people seem to put in a little of it...then wait towards the end of the boil to put in the rest and this creates a lighter colored beer (and gets rid of some of them "LME taste"). As long as it tastes good...it could be puke green for all I care!

I bought this extract kit from MW and plan to brew it this weekend. The thing is I have a bit of magnum and would like to substitute .5 oz of magnum for the bittering addition of the 1oz cascade. IBU's are almost equal in brewersfriend recipe calculator ~33vs31 ibu. I want to use that left over 1oz of cascade to dry hop with for 5-7 days.

pre boil volume is 6 gallons, all the malt syrup would be added at the beginning.

Will the hop substitute alter the flavor considerably? This would be the first beer I dry hop and seemed fool-proof.

The hops you use for bittering add little flavor to the beer so substituting the correct amount of Magnum for the Cascade should not impact the beer. Your dry hopping will add aroma to the beer, giving it a citrus aroma. To me it makes my beer taste like grapefruit and I like it well enough to do that to several batches a year.

Back