Liberty Cream Ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGD

Reaction score
I picked up a Liberty Cream Ale kit from Midwest for a light summer session brew that family and friends who are coors/bud drinkers might enjoy as well. The only issue I can see is it came with 2oz of cascade and the wife and I arent big IPA fans (there are exceptions of course).

1oz for bittering at 60 minutes

1oz for aroma at 2 minutes.

Seems like it would be closer to an IPA than a cream ale. The average IBU is listed as 23-40.

Looking for suggestions on hop schedule to tame this out. I was thinking 0.5oz at 60 and 0.5oz at 5. I also have 1oz of Saaz, 1oz of Hallertau that I could use as well. Thinking of using US-05 as I have plenty on hand and no way to stir starters yet.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. If you’ve brewed this before I’d like your input on it. I’ve seen a few threads but they were a few years old

Ingredient List below:

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract

8 oz. Carapils® specialty grains

2 oz. of Cascade pellet hops

Adding 1lb flaked corn during steep to help with mouth feel as suggested on their reviews.

The IBU's for that kit fall outside the norm for a cream ale which seems to be 15-20. Also, cream ales normally are not hop flavored so the second addition certainly makes it fall outside the parameters for a cream ale. From my experience, even using Cascade for bittering brings through the flavor and I found that to be an annoyance. I'd save the Cascade hops for another brew and use the Saaz or Hallertau for bittering, adjusting the amount to get the 15-20 IBU's. The Carapils will bring some mouthfeel and you could increase the amount a little if you wanted more. Flaked corn without a base malt to do the conversion would give you only starches which will make a hazy beer, not the nice clear cream ale you plan to make.

The IBU's for that kit fall outside the norm for a cream ale which seems to be 15-20. Also, cream ales normally are not hop flavored so the second addition certainly makes it fall outside the parameters for a cream ale. From my experience, even using Cascade for bittering brings through the flavor and I found that to be an annoyance. I'd save the Cascade hops for another brew and use the Saaz or Hallertau for bittering, adjusting the amount to get the 15-20 IBU's. The Carapils will bring some mouthfeel and you could increase the amount a little if you wanted more. Flaked corn without a base malt to do the conversion would give you only starches which will make a hazy beer, not the nice clear cream ale you plan to make.

Thanks for the reply. I’m of the same opinion that the cascade by itself would probably not be the flavor profile I’m after for this brew.

Thanks for the heads up on the corn. Didnt think about the issue with a lack of enzymes not breaking down the starches. I suppose I would need to partial mash a 1/2lb of 2-row or some other base malt which add’s a level of complexity and time I’d rather not mess with.

Getting ready to brew this in the next 24hrs (possibly tonight if I get time). I grabbed 1/2 lb flaked corn and some amylase enzyme to break down the starches. Using US-05 as the yeast but I"m looking for a few suggestions. It was suggested to do a mini mash with the flaked corn for 45 min at 150. Just want to make sure I've got this down.
  1. Does 150F for 45min sound reasonable?
  2. Going to add 1/3 LME and boil for 30 min, rest at flameout. Any issues I may have overlooked?
  3. Exactly when do you add the amylase? I read this thread which appears to suggest adding it when you pitch.
  4. Using US-05, if you've used this yeast for the style before...what temp range do you recommend?
TY in advance for suggestions.

Getting ready to brew this in the next 24hrs (possibly tonight if I get time). I grabbed 1/2 lb flaked corn and some amylase enzyme to break down the starches. Using US-05 as the yeast but I"m looking for a few suggestions. It was suggested to do a mini mash with the flaked corn for 45 min at 150. Just want to make sure I've got this down.
  1. Does 150F for 45min sound reasonable?
  2. Going to add 1/3 LME and boil for 30 min, rest at flameout. Any issues I may have overlooked?
  3. Exactly when do you add the amylase? I read this thread which appears to suggest adding it when you pitch.
  4. Using US-05, if you've used this yeast for the style before...what temp range do you recommend?
TY in advance for suggestions.

Amylase works at mash temps (150* range)

I made a cream ale with 2 pounds of flaked maize for my brother and used 05. I went in the mid 60's on that ferment. He likes the beer. I've not had it yet.

I made a cream ale with 2 pounds of flaked maize for my brother and used 05. I went in the mid 60's on that ferment. He likes the beer. I've not had it yet.
This brew came out great so far. Loving the color and the smell is pretty spot on for what I wanted to accomplish. I’m glad I only did 1/2lb of flaked maize. I didnt wanted just a hint of corn. Hopefully it will ferment out with the same subtlety.

This brew came out great so far. Loving the color and the smell is pretty spot on for what I wanted to accomplish. I’m glad I only did 1/2lb of flaked maize. I didnt wanted just a hint of corn. Hopefully it will ferment out with the same subtlety.
update on this?

update on this?
Oh man, completely forgot to post an update.

On the sixth day of fermentation, I checked gravity and it came in a little high at 1.013. Headed out of town for a week and a half. By the time I got back the beer had settled at 1.010 on the money (expected FG). Threw it in a purged keg and cold crashed for a few days.

Appearance came out a little hazy. I added gelatin after 4 days and waited another 48hrs. Kicked some haze out but not much. Flavor wise it's really close to what I wanted to hit. The Hallertau and Saaz hops went together beautifully. The addition of corn added some body and hint of flavor, but not much else. Has a hint of metallic flavor during first pour. Not sure if its my hose or if I wasn't careful enough and it got oxidized. 2nd pour is usually much cleaner. Noted this by pouring off 3oz first then sampling the 2nd pour on its own.

I added some beer to a growler with 0.25lb frozen strawberries and let it sit for a few days before bottling with carb tabs. Still waiting on those to finish carbonating.

Overall I would certainly brew this again. It was exactly the summer porch brew I was looking for.

Back