Liberty apples for growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocochoco

Reaction score
So I just got my hands on some liberty apples from a local orchard in northern Illinois.
Place costs a fortune and I cant afford bushels at $4 a pound. I was considering growing from seed as I picked from the deepest section away from other varieties but bees will be bees.
Should I risk what I get or should I get grafted trees?
Planning to keep a controlled line of 10' trees along my back fence as these seemed to grow straight up rather than out.

If you are willing to wait the 8 years from seed to an apple-bearing tree, you might as well use the seeds. Search engine results mostly say that pre-made saplings and saplings made from seeds still both take 8 years to bear fruit.

If you're concerned about "apple purity," you could buy seeds, use seeds from apples you know are the variety you want, or buy saplings. In any case, it will be a long time before your investment literally bears fruit.

In any case, it will be a long time before your investment literally bears fruit.
This made me chuckle.

What I'm mostly concerned with is that this place has dozens of other apple varieties and cross pollenation could give me an undesirable tree. Perhaps it's not a bad thing though. It could lead to something with a lot of acid and a higer sugar content.
I expect my trees will take time to produce. I'm in it for the long haul

Are you more interested in having the trees, or having fruit? If you plant the seeds, you will probably end up with a standard size tree (25 ft plus). If your goal is to have 10' trees that grow straight up to line your fence, you are better off buying a grafted tree. I have also see "columnar" trees advertised at Raintree Nursery and Stark Bros that sound like what you are looking for. Or you can look for a tree grafted on a dwarf rootstock and can train it and prune it to reach your goal. Buying a grafted tree will also give you an idea as to what the fruit will be like. And some grafted trees may give you fruit in 2-3 years, depending on the rootstock. With seedllings, you are rolling the dice as to whether or not any of them will grow the way you want or provide fruit you like. But it might be fun to grow some from seed anyway though, if you don't mind waiting a long time for fruit, as it may be 10 years before they give you any. You can always space them out 10' apart and remove every other one if they eventually need the space, which they probably will.

Last edited:
Things to consider:
Size of your tree will be determined by the rootstock, variety of apple is determined by what is grafted on to it.
A seed from a Liberty apple will not produce a totally new apple, it doesn't matter where in the orchard the tree was located. When creating new varieties, apple breeders pick two parent varieties and then raise thousands of seedlings in huge greenhouses and narrow the selection down over 10+ years or so and don't always come up with a winner.
Are you going to make cider? Want some apples for pies? Just want some to eat?
Does your area have late frosts? Then you probably don't want an early blooming variety.
Descriptions of apple varieties usually include bloom time and these will also overlap each other.
Not all varieties can pollinate all other varieties, look on the description for recommended pollinators.
Also some varieties can withstand frost with less bud damage than others.
Some varieties (like Liberty) need less spraying, but that doesn't mean they are a NO SPRAY variety, you'll still need some kind of spray program. The Japanese beetles were really bad in my area this year, for example.
Semi-dwarf trees are usually planted about 12' apart. Dwarf trees can be planted about 2-4 feet apart.
You'll spend more money putting in dwarf trees per acre, but you'll get more fruit and the spraying/pruning and picking will be easier.
It sounds like the "fruiting wall" system would work for your yard, but you need plenty of sunlight.
Each dwarf tree will need a stake or you'll have to build a trellis. Don't skip this part, high winds can break young fruit trees. If you have deer in the area you'll need to provide some protection from them.
You also need good drainage, I learned my lesson in soggy, heavy clay soil so don't plant trees in a wet spot unless you can find a way to drain it.
I've gotten decent trees from Stark's, get on their email list, they run sales all the time, and you can get trees in the fall and plant them before winter.
I also recommend Cummings nursery in upstate New York, their on line catalog has lots of great information.
There may be local growers in your area. I have a very small Amish fruit tree nursery in my area that has a thriving business with no internet sales, he doesn't even have a phone, so look around, businesses like that are out there.
Apple trees from big box stores probably won't be dwarf varieties, so skip them unless you have lots of space.
Check out you tube videos for all kinds of tips on growing/pruning/spraying apples.
If you want to make cider, there are many excellent books that have sections on recommended varieties, but remember that the most important thing is to choose something that will grow well in your area.
$4 a pound is an ridiculous price, but you are paying for the orchard experience, so that's why people do it.
I can get top quality apples around here for $20/bushel, which comes out to about $.40/lb. Seconds are $7 a bushel or less depending how much you buy.
The reason you want to grow your own is that commercial apples are always picked before they are fully ripe to prevent damage when they are handled and shipped. Tree ripened fruit has way better flavor and you can really tell the difference when you make hard cider.
Use google maps to find other orchards in your area or even make a fall road trip a little farther away. See what the professionals are growing and if you talk to the farmers and show some interest, they'll tell you all kinds of stuff you'll never learn from any book.

You should get grafted trees on semi-dwarf rootstock. Mix it up with some different varieties that you like or think you might like to get different flavors and better cross-pollenization. You'll need to wait a few years to get fruit but you'll get some fruit much sooner with good grafted semi-dwarfs vs. from seed which takes around 9 years. Even with semi-dwarfs, depending on the rootstock, you might need to prune heavily twice per year in late-winter then mid-summer to keep the trees down below 10 feet. My Honeycrisp on semi-dwarf took like 5 more years to fruit, and it was already 3 years old when I planted it, and if I didn't prune, it would probably be 15 feet high by now, but with heavy pruning I've kept it down to about 8 feet, it turned into a huge vase probably 10-11 feet wide. (Maybe it's actually not a "semi-dwarf"!)

But seriously. Get grafted trees, you'll get fruit quicker and keep the size more manageable. I don't like full dwarf trees, they are weak and don't do well for me, at least not here in my sandy soil. I've had one that died, and another that produces only a handful of apples that are all stolen by squirrels and my dogs before they get ripe. So for this reason I say semi-dwarf. I'll have well over a bushel of apples on my ~12 year old Honeycrisp this year, maybe 1.5-2 bushels. And if you keep them on the tree a long enough time to fully ripen, you've never tasted such a great example from the supermarket as you can grow yourself.

Last edited:
I'm glad I made this thread.
It's given me some great insight.
I'll check out those sites. I'm definitely not wanting a 30 foot tree. That was my biggest concern. I'm somewhat limited on space so large trees in that spot might block to sun to my barley bed.
I grow my own alcohol. Cider is just so much more refreshing than beer in certain settings.

Besides what everyone else has already said above, planting apple seeds is a total crap shoot. Don't expect to get anything like the apples from the parent tree. Example: a friend of mine planted a seed from a Pink Lady apple. The fruit in the resulting tree is about an inch in diameter, and is super bitter and sour, and tastes like grapefruit (I actually really like it, and used some in my most recent batch of cider), but certainly not what he had in mind. If you want a Liberty tree, buy one.

Having said that though, Liberty apples aren't really all that great. They make beautiful trees, and reliably produce fruit every year, but all of my other apples are more flavorful.

Latest posts

Back