Lhbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
I've been brewing now for about 8 months, and I've only gotten my ingredients from one place. It's closing soon so I have to branch out. It's a bummer because it was the only place that was decently close to me. Anyway, the place that I went to, they generally just pointed you in the direction of their grain room and let you do everything yourself. For my first AG batch, I walked in and told the guy I was about to do my first AG batch and I asked if he had the grains I was looking for. He looked at my grain bill and said "Yep, should all be back there" and handed it back and went about his business.

I was expecting to go in and tell them what I needed and they would measure it out and mill it and I'd pay and then leave. Instead, I was in their grain room for at least 30 minutes, not knowing how to work anything and having to ask the guy to come in there and help me about 15 times.

Is this how most places operate? Does anyone else just go in and measure and mill their own grains and the employees trust you not to break or spill anything and be truthful about the quantities?

That's essentially how it's worked in the 3 different shops that I've been to, although the first time I went I asked for help and they were happy to show me how to use the mill and give me a quick tour of the grain room. Now that I know what I'm doing I'm really glad I can take care of it myself. A bit more efficient and I don't have anyone to blame but myself if I screw something up.

Is this how most places operate? Does anyone else just go in and measure and mill their own grains and the employees trust you not to break or spill anything and be truthful about the quantities?

That's how my LHBS is (it's the local Morebeer showroom). I don't think many places weight stuff out for you and mill for you. You can do will call at mine but pretty sure you still have to order in regular increments such as they offer online.

the first place i went to, i would call ahead with my grain bill, and it would be ready for pick up in like 20 min. This LHBS was ran out of a ladies converted garage. she had been doing it for 31 years, and was the coolest and smartest lady ever. but, she recently got cancer and had to close shop.

now i go to a local chain called home brew stuff. and they have it set up just like you mentioned above. i prefer it, because its more hands on, and like you are doing it at home. but i can see how it would be hard for a "noob" i got spoiled when i started, and over time i had her show me how to do everything.

now i buy everything in bulk, and just mill as needed at home, so i dont really deal with much LHBS quirks anymore.

There are 2 LHBS near me, and they both operate differently.

One you walk in and give them your list of grains and they measure it out for you, ask if you want it milled and then charge you.

The other one (the one I prefer), they let you do everything yourself from weighing, and milling as well as picking out hops by the gram or ounce.

I personally love putting together my own recipes, and once I learned to work the mill machine and the hops I loved the fact that I had complete control and measure exactly- when others measure for you they maybe be slightly off. I also get to smell, taste and look at the grains that I'm about to use.

Plus I mill my grains twice, so I don't feel like I'm asking for double the work.:)

Unfortunately by me it is grain by the pound at both of the LHBS in my area. I have started ordering online because of this and now primarily only get yeast at the local places.

Guess it wasn't as odd as I thought :). Now that I've done it several times, it's pretty nice to have control. But being a noob was pretty overwhelming when the guy didn't seem like he wanted to help. Hopefully I like this new place. Thanks for all the perspectives!

Where I go they do all the measuring and milling. I give them my list, pour a drink off their kegerator, and chat while the get my stuff together. Great guys.

Back