LHBS prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hello,

First, I want to say that this isn't an argument about whether or not home brewing is cheap, expensive, etc. In my homebrewing experience (only started this year), I've made extract beers with steeping grains. I plan on going to partial mash very soon, but right now I just don't feel the need to graduate to all grain due to time and equipment required. Anyways, the only batches I've made so far have come from the major online homebrew retailers like Midwest and Northern Brewer (not trying to market these companies, sorry). I'm not in this hobby to save money, but at the same time I'm not made of money so if I can get a deal, I'll take it. Most of the batches I've made from the online companies are very decently priced, even if you include shipping. However, the two LHBS that I go to for equipment, straining bags, etc. are much more expensive than these online retailers. Companies like Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and AHS are much larger in size and can inherently sell their products for much less in my experience. I'm just wondering if this is the case everywhere when it comes to LHBS. I wish I was fortunate to live next to one of the larger homebrew stores as I could walk out of the store with two kits for about $50. I've come across a few recipes on here that I really want to try out, especially the infamous centeniall blonde that everyone talks about, but trying to obtain these ingredients at my LHBS runs me a good $40-45 when piecing everything together. It appears as though the malt extract is the priciest ingredient. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. Also, I should note that I am very aware that homebrewing isn't meant to be a cheap hobby, although it can be cheaper when you go AG, bulk purchase and all that fun stuff. I did just recently get a whole kegerator setup with two cornys (still need a 5lb CO2 tank), so I don't want to consider myself cheap. Rather, I'd look at myself as a bargain shopper. I did get my kegerator setup from my LHBS, and would love to help them out more, but it's tough when I can get pretty good deals online.

I find that costs vary pretty widely from one LHBS to the next... One near me sells used cornies, for instance, for $50 or $60 a pop, while another sells them for $35 (or less if you're willing to do the cleaning and replace gaskets and such).

Similarly, I picked up a kit for an amber ale at one, and spent just over $50 (I would've skipped it altogether, but a buddy of mine who doesn't yet know better was just dying to go halves on something...), then picked up all the ingredients for another recipe at the other for about $27.

Just like anything else, it pays to shop around if you can. If you can't, well, then there's the Internet and consider your LHBS' costs a convenience tax.

I feel your pain! I'm not a homebrewer to save money but if I can save a few dimes here and a few nickels there I will and I will NOT feel bad about. Sure I like to support "brick & mortar" stores in my community and try to when possible. I basically do this: I order hops and base grains from online vendors. I like morebeer because hops are very reasonable and its FREE shipping with order of 60.00. I mainly just buy my liquid yeast and specialty grains at my LHBS. These are more cost effective to buy local because you dont have worry about your yeast during shipment (I dont pay for 2 day air just for yeast as some online vendors recommend), and I dont have to puy a 1lb of 1 specialty grain when a recipe only calls for 6 oz for example. I can just get 6oz at the LHBS. This has worked well for me.

Hops + base grains online
yeast & specialty grains local

I typically do all grain 3 or 4 gallon batches which helps to save money. All i bought was a igloo water cooler and a extra stock pot.

My LHBS is a tad higher on some things.significantly lower on others,so it evens out. I buy on-line what they don't have. Shipping is getting expensive.

I feel your pain! I'm not a homebrewer to save money but if I can save a few dimes here and a few nickels there I will and I will NOT feel bad about. Sure I like to support "brick & mortar" stores in my community and try to when possible. I basically do this: I order hops and base grains from online vendors. I like morebeer because hops are very reasonable and its FREE shipping with order of 60.00. I mainly just buy my liquid yeast and specialty grains at my LHBS. These are more cost effective to buy local because you dont have worry about your yeast during shipment (I dont pay for 2 day air just for yeast as some online vendors recommend), and I dont have to puy a 1lb of 1 specialty grain when a recipe only calls for 6 oz for example. I can just get 6oz at the LHBS. This has worked well for me.

Hops + base grains online
yeast & specialty grains local

I typically do all grain 3 or 4 gallon batches which helps to save money. All i bought was a igloo water cooler and a extra stock pot.

That's a good process to use. If I do start putting recipes together, I will definitely get the yeast from my LHBS, and possibly even the grains. In my experience though, because I've ordered kits online, the yeast already comes with it. I think the biggest purchase when getting ingredients for an extract batch is the damn malt extract. Online, the extract is fairly priced. I've found 6lb LME for about $14-15, which is good, but then you have to pay for shipping. Just yesterday, I went to a new LHBS to get a couple things. I just wanted to check out their extract section and they priced their extract cans (3.3 lbs) at $14. For most extract batches, the recipe calls for at least 6 lbs of malt extract. So, just getting these two cans alone would account for $30, not including the specialty grains and yeast - and all this just for a basic session beer, nothing special. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and either continue purchasing kits online, which might get boring after a while, or just pay the additional money and get the ingredients from the local store. I'll tell you one thing, if I lived near Midwest Supplies B&M, and if their prices are as good in-store as they are online, I'd be poor.

This is something that I'm conflicted about, personally: I like supporting local business, but sometimes a deal is a deal.

I just got in to brewing, but I can equate the LHBS to my LBS (local bike shop). Local businesses make my town better just by existing in my town and I will support them even if I have to pay a few extra bucks.

The support that you can get from a local shop is going to far surpass anything one can get online. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I appreciate talking to someone in person, especially when that person is directly invested in me doing well, staying happy, and coming back to give them my business.

My LHBS has free demonstrations twice a month, an active online message board, and the owner is a good guy who has guided me through my first two batches (one completed, one beginning on Sunday). they also have a beer club, which I haven't participated in, but would like to in the future when I get some of my brews ready.

There is a lot to be gained, imo, from a local business. Not only are local businesses good for the community they exist in, but they're great for getting information and having human beings to talk to, learn from, and share with.

I went and priced making a wort chiller at Home Depot last week and with copper being as expensive as it it I would have saved around $15 by making it myself. Instead I decided to buy it from the LHBS. Had the difference been large, say $30 or $40 I would have probably made it. But I'd rather give the $15 to a local business than to Home Depot, and with the time it would have taken me to do it it may not have been all that much of a savings anyways.

However, I did buy a burner online. the one that the LHBS sells were significantly more expensive than the one I got from Amazon, about $40 and whatever tax would be. They had the model with the taller legs and I didn't want to pay an extra $40 for taller legs, so I got it online. Had it been closer in price and if they were selling the model I wanted I would have gotten it from them.

Some friends call me a sucker for spending more, but supporting the local economy is important to me. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around by any means, but I feel better by putting what little money I have in to my local economy than I do spending it online or in mega stores. ymmv

joe

As long as you brew with extract it is going to be expensive (I am not the typical AG whore but when looking at it economically it is a fact). You are paying for the malster to do the most precise part of AG homebrewing for you. Luckily when I am at school the LHBS has prices far better than ANYONE online, but at home the prices are insane.

I live in a suburb of DC so its easy to see why they are more expensive...online vendors can set up in cheaper real estate in the middle of nowhere and make a killing. The better the location (more traffic, better facility, ease of access, etc) means the storefront has to pay vastly more for the space. I go to the ones up here for the occasional specialty grains, hops, yeast and advice, so I don't feel ripped off when paying more.

Now that I am all grain I buy hops and grain bags in bulk. I also wash yeast and use Pacman almost exclusively ($6 bottle of rouge beer yields me about 30 batches of yeast). Now including propane, grain, hops and yeast, my 5 gallon batches are around $12-$15 tops.

However when I am at school I can't have propane in my apartment. My stove can handle about 4-5 pounds of grains plus 3.5 gallons of water. Then I usually have one or two 3 pound bags of DME to reach my gravities. I have made some FANTASTIC beers with extract, but I choose to partial mash (Brew in a Bag method) simply to save money and the only extra piece of equipment is a grain bag!

Germelli1, I total agree... just doing partial mashes can save a ton of money. MY LHBS has bulk grains for 1.59lb and DME for 3.99. Thats a HUGE difference in price (even though DME yields higher gravity per lb). Plus its fun doing a mash! Really makes you feel like you are brewing. Not that there is anything wrong with extract brews!

I like this this thread.. I love brewing beer and I like to watch every dime I spend on anything lol

I,like to support my LHBS as much as possible. I think having one nearby is great. It saved a brewday when I figured out during the boil that I was missing something. I had my wife watch the boil while I ran up there to get what I need.

If you do have a LHBS near and support them they will stay in bussiness for those times you really need them. I don't mind paying slightly higher prices to help him stay in business.

That being said, his hop prices are a little high, so I have purchased some of the hops I use regularly, at a cheaper price online. Still but the ones I do not use often frim the LHBS.

In Britain, one of the main advantages of home brewing is the money you save. We are taxed like no other nation on earth - it's damn near impossible to find a pint of bog standard lager for any cheaper than £2 ($3.20) and goes up to double that quite easily at restaurants. When you consider that once you set up, you can make 40 pints of ale/lager/cider for what, £12? It definitely does become about the money, it's one of the reasons I do it and since the recession, the reason that the business in home brewing is thriving.

Part of what you pay for, like JoeDaddio said,is being able to go into the shop and get some professional advice. My local isn't a rip off at all, and sells things like glucose much cheaper than the supermarkets do - some things are slightly more expensive, but hey, it's all good. If you have to buy a bulk item or something random from the internet - so be it - but generally, I'm happy to support. At the end of the day, if it wasn't there, what choice would I have but to buy from the internet?

this is something that i'm conflicted about, personally: I like supporting local business, but sometimes a deal is a deal.

I just got in to brewing, but i can equate the lhbs to my lbs (local bike shop). Local businesses make my town better just by existing in my town and i will support them even if i have to pay a few extra bucks.

The support that you can get from a local shop is going to far surpass anything one can get online. Maybe i'm old fashioned, but i appreciate talking to someone in person, especially when that person is directly invested in me doing well, staying happy, and coming back to give them my business.

My lhbs has free demonstrations twice a month, an active online message board, and the owner is a good guy who has guided me through my first two batches (one completed, one beginning on sunday). They also have a beer club, which i haven't participated in, but would like to in the future when i get some of my brews ready.

There is a lot to be gained, imo, from a local business. Not only are local businesses good for the community they exist in, but they're great for getting information and having human beings to talk to, learn from, and share with.

I went and priced making a wort chiller at home depot last week and with copper being as expensive as it it i would have saved around $15 by making it myself. Instead i decided to buy it from the lhbs. Had the difference been large, say $30 or $40 i would have probably made it. But i'd rather give the $15 to a local business than to home depot, and with the time it would have taken me to do it it may not have been all that much of a savings anyways.

However, i did buy a burner online. The one that the lhbs sells were significantly more expensive than the one i got from amazon, about $40 and whatever tax would be. They had the model with the taller legs and i didn't want to pay an extra $40 for taller legs, so i got it online. Had it been closer in price and if they were selling the model i wanted i would have gotten it from them.

Some friends call me a sucker for spending more, but supporting the local economy is important to me. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around by any means, but i feel better by putting what little money i have in to my local economy than i do spending it online or in mega stores. Ymmv

joe

+1

The LHBS is where it's at. My guy in east Hartford, ct tries his best to keep his prices very competitive, but there are some things (like liquid yeast) that he'll be a few dollars higher on. But in the end if I was getting ingredients for one 5 gal batch it will typically come out in the wash after the shipping an online retailer would charge. Unless he doesn't carry it I get all my equipment there. His biggest asset is the brain on his shoulders, trustworthy attitude, and understanding of the various ways to accomplish home brewing. I went to another shop recently and the owner told me flat out that 3 or 4 of the things that I was doing were flat wrong and made me feel dumb. He also bragged about his low prices and I later found that all of the items I bought were priced lower at my normal store. If he was my local guy I would exclusively buy online. But in the end I believe that there is nothing better than a good LHBS and I'll do my best to support it.

Yeah its nice to support the local LHBS... but on some stuff they are not competitive on. My LHBS charges 2.00 for 1 oz of hops. Thats $32 a pound! Not competitive therefore I buy those elsewhere... Online stores charge 2+ dollars for some specialty grains when you only need ounces... not competitive because the LHBS charges 1.59 per pound so I buy specialty grains locally along with yeast because its the same price as online. Online and local stores keep other in check in terms of pricing and I like that. Therefore when one is very skewed from the other I buy were the best deal is at. In the long run its supports both parties and keeps all of our prices down!

My LHBS is awesome. Most hops are ~$2 for 2 ounces (cheaper than most places I have seen online for small amounts) and base malt is $.75-$1 per pound. Yeast is $6 and the common strains are usually less than a week old. I don't know how much extract costs because I don't use it, but I would guess its pretty competitively priced too. And the people who work there are really nice. Right now the store is only a 10 minute drive away but I am going to be moving about 30-40 minutes away later this summer. I still plan to do most of my shopping there.

His biggest asset is the brain on his shoulders, trustworthy attitude, and understanding of the various ways to accomplish home brewing.

This is what I get from my LHBS. Yes I can get some stuff cheaper online, but I do not get the help of my local folks. I also like walking into the store and hearing the owners call out a "Hi Bill" from across the store. My local store has very competitive in pricing. If I do not need anything during a weeks time, I stop in just to say hi (and see what's on tap in the tasting room).

I am a retail guy (sales rep) and hate competing with my own company's web site. So it will always be brick and mortar first for me.

My LHBS typically has higher prices than online for ingredients. Equipment is about the same. But my LHBS just expanded and moved into a larger location. So maybe prices and quality of ingredients will get better. I try to support local, but its hard when Midwest is only and hour or so away from my house. Myself and a buddy will get a list going and split the cost of gas to go there. A little cheaper than paying shipping. But you still can't beat talking to "Gordie" at the LHBS!

Back