LHBS no more - thank goodness for AHS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester369

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After a really disappointing interaction with my LHBS store, I finally gave up on them. Some really crappy attitude, from one of the owners, no less. It was too bad, because I like supporting the local businesses when I can. I even continued to shop there when the price of gas round trip exceeded shipping costs from online vendors.

Well, not anymore. I'm just stocking up base malts and specialty grains, and I'll just do it all online - I have 139 pounds worth of boxes coming from AHS right now!

I'm not at that point yet, but perhaps soon. We have 3 locals here, 2 of which I use because of distance.

I went to get some yeast on Sunday and one of the stores was closed despite the fact that I was well within their posted Sunday Summer Hours.

They are off my list for now.

Yep, I'm abandoning my LHBS too to join the legions of Austin Home Brew Supply customers.

Wait a minute, Austin Home Brew Supply IS my LHBS. Man, talk about being lucky. :D

Actually, in my travels I have not seen any that are as clean and large as Austin Homebrew Supply. I'll be checking out Northern Brewer when I visit Minnesota later this year and if AHS had a tasting bar from NxNW, it would be TOPS. Gotta hand it to Homebrewmart in San Diego.

We have two that I know of, but unless I'm in a time crunch, I much prefer ordering from AHS and having it dropped at my door. Although our local guys still have lots of whole leaf hops, not those evil pellets. You can still buy a pound of Cascade at FH Steinbarts on the east side.

After a really disappointing interaction with my LHBS store, I finally gave up on them. Some really crappy attitude, from one of the owners, no less. It was too bad, because I like supporting the local businesses when I can. I even continued to shop there when the price of gas round trip exceeded shipping costs from online vendors.

I have stopped using my LHBS all together. The owner is a stuck up a$$ who, all things said and done, doesn't help anyone that come in his store. I've been there about 6 times in the last few months, to ask questions, look for help and what not, but the guy has just been a ass since day one. Only when you go there and drop serious coin on something, like when I bought my starter kit...I've got stop being so angry all the time, this is really getting to me..
CHEERS:mug:

Well, not anymore. I'm just stocking up base malts and specialty grains, and I'll just do it all online - I have 139 pounds worth of boxes coming from AHS right now!

In Vermont I would think North Country would be cheaper than AHS.
Try http://www.listermann.com/ free shipping over $55 east of the Mississippi.

I use all 3 depending on what I need

In Vermont I would think North Country would be cheaper than AHS.
Try http://www.listermann.com/ free shipping over $55 east of the Mississippi.

I use all 3 depending on what I need

I might drive up to North Country this summer to grab full bags of base malt. With AHS flat rate shipping, it's got to be a big buy to make it worth driving. Hadn't seen Listermann - have to check it out!

:mug:

Actually, in my travels I have not seen any that are as clean and large as Austin Homebrew Supply. I'll be checking out Northern Brewer when I visit Minnesota later this year and if AHS had a tasting bar from NxNW, it would be TOPS. Gotta hand it to Homebrewmart in San Diego.

I recommend hitting up Midwest Supplies while you're in Minneapolis. I think you'll be shocked at how small the retail store for Northern Brewer is (they have a warehouse across town where everything is shipped from). But Midwest's retail store is also their warehouse and it's huge!

I might drive up to North Country this summer to grab full bags of base malt. With AHS flat rate shipping, it's got to be a big buy to make it worth driving. Hadn't seen Listermann - have to check it out!

:mug:

If you're still having the August get-together, maybe we could co-ordinate a group-buy for the YI folks, we'll chip in to pay for your gas. I've thought about taking a road trip to North Country, but the damn lake's in the way - it looks like about a four-hour drive for me.

If you're still having the August get-together, maybe we could co-ordinate a group-buy for the YI folks, we'll chip in to pay for your gas. I've thought about taking a road trip to North Country, but the damn lake's in the way - it looks like about a four-hour drive for me.

Sounds like a great idea! Folks can show up and have sacks of grain waiting!

:ban:

Sounds like a great idea! Folks can show up and have sacks of grain waiting!

:ban:

If a bunch of folks are coming have it shipped
Quote from NCMalt page
"REMEMBER IF YOU ARE ORDERING IN EXCESS OF 200 POUNDS PLEASE CALL FOR A FREIGHT RATE. WE HAVE NEGOTIATED GREAT FREIGHT RATES WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT CARRIERS FOR AS LITTLE AS 3 CENTS PER POUND FOR PALLET ORDERS.

Back