LHBS ever piss you off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
My LHBS is about a 40min ride from my house. I went there to get a 5gal carboy, stopper, and 3pc airlock the other day as I need to rack my boston lager clone to secondary, and am one down.

Today I get my bucket of one step together, all my parts in there, etc. Break out the carboy fill it with about 1/2gal water.......go to put the stopper on to shake it BLOOP! falls right through the whole inside. The guy gave me 6.5 stoppers and you can drive a truck through the mouth of this thing. All that prep time wasted and I need to work the next 7 days so cant even get back there! REALLY steamed! :mad:

Can't you rig something up? Wrap it with take or plastic wrap? Seems like a minor issue that you shouldn't let ruin a whole day.

That really sucks, especially since you bought them together.

Short term just sanitize some tin foil and wrap it around the opening. As long as nothing can fall into the beer you shouldn't have any trouble.

Any good hardware store near you? Older independant ones may have a drawer full of various size stoppers. You'll have to drill them probably.

Also walk through the water bottle section...I'm staring at the hard plastic top of my nalgene water bottle and thinking that in a pinch it looks like it could fit tightly over my carboy mouth...and if I punched a hole where the top is attached to the bottle, I bet I could fit an airlock inside...

M38973_Ruby_Red.jpg

Only my bottle top is smaller and rounded...but hopefully you get the point.

"LHBS ever piss you off"

All the time brother. Have 2 in my area.

#1 is close and cheap but it's a crap shoot if he'll answer the phone or be open. He give very lax brewing tips and never seems to have staples in stock.

#2 is Pro, several miles away, and expensive.

Waitaminute!!!

Forget all this and just rig a big blow off tube! Geez....I'm dense sometimes. There's pics around here showing large diameter hoses that fit tightly into the mouth of the carboy...I don't know the diameter. But I'm pretty sure there's one in one of the threads from yesterday.

Anyway don't let it spoil your brewday!

Revvy said:
Waitaminute!!!

Forget all this and just rig a big blow off tube! Geez....I'm dense sometimes. There's pics around here showing large diameter hoses that fit tightly into the mouth of the carboy...I don't know the diameter. But I'm pretty sure there's one in one of the threads from yesterday.

Anyway don't let it spoil your brewday!

Duh - why didn't I think of that?

rdwj said:
Duh - why didn't I think of that?

You know how it came to me??? I was looking at my waterbottle and thinking..."gee, instead of cutting the hanging strap off a perfectly good waterbottle, you could jam it on and leave it hanging with sanitizer in it...then you could put a...BLOW OFF TUBE!"

Then I smacked my forhead and said "duh!"

:fro:

Back