Let's Talk Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am going to buy some new tubing/brew line and don't want to sell the house to get it. I want/need heat resistance on some of it and don't want it collapsing all the time.

Also, anyone have a good source for 1/2" barb - 1.5 Tri-Clover fittings?

Sabco on the Tri-Clamps.

Look around local for a Industrial Hose supply that carries Medical grade hose. I like the silicone stuff. It's never collapsed on me.

Swagman I hear makes good tri-clamps.

I was looking through the Cole-Parmer catalog and they have a lot of tubing in there. It's hard to narrow down.

I saw some expired medical grade tubing on ebay that was .625 ID and .857 OD for REALLY cheap. Can we use the medical grade tubing? It was rated to 300 degrees, but could no longer be used for intravenous use.

Ebay is the place to go... there are limitations set on medical grade equipment. For our purposes I believe it should work fine.

I use 5392K39 (3/8 ID) from McMaster for part of the tubing on my stand. It is good to 220F, FDA compliant. It says flexible and I do have a piece made into an ~16" circle (for vorlauf), but it really prefers to be fairly straight. It will not collapse on you. I assume you're looking for 1/2" ID which is just under $1/ft

This is the stuff myself and few others got from eBay seller ngs2009 (Nora Stark):

Sani-Tech Tubing STHT-C-500-5F New in Package - eBay (item 120337468973 end time Nov-22-08 17:13:15 PST)

089e_1.JPG

New and Sealed Sani-Tech Tubing - 50 Feet - .500 ID x .187 Wall - .875 OD

Features/Benefits:
• Ultra-pure biopharmaceutical-grade silicone
• Unsurpassed surface smoothness
• Ultra flexible
• Autoclavable and sterilizable
• Temperature range from –80°F (-62°C) to 500°F (260°C)
• Imparts no taste or odors
• Meets USP Class VI, European Pharmacopoeia 3.1.9, and FDA criteria

Typical Applications*:
• Sterile Fill and transfers
• Drug delivery
• Media processing
• Sanitary peristaltic pump tubing
• Laboratory use

She may not have anything listed. Email her. A friend of mine just bought 100' worth of the stuff from here a couple of days ago.

B3 sells similar stuff about about 2-3x the price. Her's has walls x2 as thick too.

Kal

This is the stuff myself and few others got from eBay seller ngs2009 (Nora Stark):

Sani-Tech Tubing STHT-C-500-5F New in Package - eBay (item 120337468973 end time Nov-22-08 17:13:15 PST)

089e_1.JPG

New and Sealed Sani-Tech Tubing - 50 Feet - .500 ID x .187 Wall - .875 OD

Features/Benefits:
• Ultra-pure biopharmaceutical-grade silicone
• Unsurpassed surface smoothness
• Ultra flexible
• Autoclavable and sterilizable
• Temperature range from –80°F (-62°C) to 500°F (260°C)
• Imparts no taste or odors
• Meets USP Class VI, European Pharmacopoeia 3.1.9, and FDA criteria

Typical Applications*:
• Sterile Fill and transfers
• Drug delivery
• Media processing
• Sanitary peristaltic pump tubing
• Laboratory use

She may not have anything listed. Email her. A friend of mine just bought 100' worth of the stuff from here a couple of days ago.

B3 sells similar stuff about about 2-3x the price. Her's has walls x2 as thick too.

Kal

That is what I bought. After reading your pointer Kal. Thanks, seems great to me. I'm thinking about another roll just in case I need more and she is out.

Ron

Sabco doesn't carry 1.5" tri clamp, they are smaller. More-beer is probably the best place, unless you want to try dealing with St. Patricks.

My aplogies, you are correct. The stems are 1/2" OD (3/8 ID) and the flanges are 1" but at $29.95 a pair............ IIRC that is less than (unverified) B3's SS QD's.

That is what I bought. After reading your pointer Kal. Thanks, seems great to me. I'm thinking about another roll just in case I need more and she is out.
I know what you mean! 50' is enough for me to do the entire setup twice however. How long does silicone tubing typically last before you want to replace it? I figured I'd get a good 5-10 years if it's stored at room temp (I'll be brewing indoors) so it'll be a good 10-20 years before I want to replace the stuff. Or maybe not. (?) No idea.

Kal

Back