Let's Talk Cameras/Camcorders!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hey All-

Any recommendations on cameras or camcorders? We've got out firstborn on the way and we're thinking about getting one or the other. Digital cameras are getting really affordable...I'm seeing 10MP models for under $300, and a lot of 7-8MP (still pretty darn good) for ~$150-$200.

A lot of these digital cameras can do pretty decent video. On the other hand, there's some respectable miniDV/dvd camcorders out there for about $300. Anyone with kids have any advice on which is better? I can't see myself sitting around taping hours of video; 30-60 second clips seem to have been pretty good for capturing funny/unusual things with my current camera.

Any opinions on models/formats/etc.?:mug:

I've been really enjoying my Panasonic Lumix FX07. It's in the inexpensive 7-8MP category, and it takes some really fantastic pictures. At full size, the pictures are just slightly grainy, but scaled to 16x20, the graininess is completely gone. With a 2GB card, it'll store about 15 minutes of video. All of my brewing videos have been shot with it.

I've been seeing that Flip around....how does it zoom and is it shakey?

More MP doesn't always mean better quality! I have a Canon Elura 100 which I think is pretty damn good! :) I only have positive experiences. I recommend getting MiniDV instead of DVD.

Make sure you read a lot of reviews... there are enough review pages out there.

Back