lets talk air-locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using the triple bubble air-locks. Personally I prefer the 3 piece bubblers, mainly because they are easier to clean. I also an a fan of blow-off tubes.

+1

The triple bubble ones look cooler when they are bubbling but the 3 pc are much easier to clean

3 piece here. I swear last year I went crazy and bought like 15 of those little buggers just to keep in my brewing toolbox. At a dollar a piece, if it's dirty it goes into the trash. Especially after those Hefe batches

I have both and use both, Mainly use the 3 piece on most batches leaving the triple style for starters and secondary.

I use the S locks on secondaries and slow fermenters. Looks cooler, bubbles occur more frequently. Makes it easier to count bubbles. Not that that's indicative of when fermentation is done, but it's a great indicator of when to start taking gravity samples.

LOL, We don't need no stinking airlock/blowoff. Here's a picture of how I ferment :D
6533-DSCN1663.JPG

I use primarily a large primary and an S. I have setup blow offs on some larger batches, or my 1gallon mead jugs... but most cases a 7.9 gallon primary with an S lock is fine. Remember, when you use a blow off you are throwing out viable yeast and perfectly good beer!! Thats the stuff you want to save!!! Three pieces are annoying because the part you put in the primary/stopper is HUGE. It makes for a crazy tight fit. Also, there are three pieces which means three times as my pieces that can break or get lost.

I have both styles but usually use the S type because, like ollllllllo said, less pieces to lose. If I know it's likely to be a big, vigorous fermentation I'll just use a blow off from the start and switch to an airlock when I can.

For cleaning the S shaped airlocks, my sink has a mini spigot that's hooked up to a purifier that fits perfectly in the top of the airlock. I just blast water through the airlock then sanitize, works like a charm

oh, btw, I like looking at the S shape better too... watching my precious brew push water is fun sometimes!! LOL! (yes, really Lol'd)

3 piece. Used the "S" on my first batch, and threw it away. Bought about 8 of the 3 piece's, so if I lose a piece, I'll get one off of another lock.

HATED the "S" type because I had to refill it every time I touched the bucket. Ker-SUCKEDback. I guess it'd work OK on glass?

I always seemed to have suck-back problems with better bottles and the "S" type, now I only use 3-piece.

I think three-piece are more fun and you can turn a stopper + 3-piece into a small blow-off tube if you've only got small hose on hand.

I don't have the problems that everyone else has with the S, because I use it after most of the fireworks are over. Basically blow off then S for secondary only (or late primary if no secondary).

Three-piece airlocks for me. Every time I buy a new fermenter, carboy, flask, or anything to ferment in, I buy and airlock and a carboy cap/rubber stopper as well. I've got a drawer full of them, if they are not in use, but I find I always have about 5 in use at one time. Three batches fermenting, and two yeast starters at the moment.

I have always been a big fan of blow-off tubes (BIG blow-off tubes) after some vigorous ferments with hefes and other wheat/rye beers. But I broke down and tried that Fermcap foam control -- that stuff ROCKS! No need for blow-off tubes anymore.

I might be going back to a 3-piece airlock for the sheer convenience -- even for my wheat/rye beers. :)

Flyguy, good to know Fermcap works even on wheat/rye's. I just might buy some + give it a whirl. I've not used a blowoff yet since I usually run 5 gal in a 6.5 but I'm planning a couple of mostly wheat and mostly rye brews in the next 2 mos.

chriso said:
Flyguy, good to know Fermcap works even on wheat/rye's. I just might buy some + give it a whirl. I've not used a blowoff yet since I usually run 5 gal in a 6.5 but I'm planning a couple of mostly wheat and mostly rye brews in the next 2 mos.
It worked wonders on my latest rye PA -- but I had to add a bit more than recommended. The stuff is harmless, so that's fine. It is also cheap, which makes it even better!

I bought some S-types a while back when I was making small batches of Edwort's Apfelwein. The LHBS was out of 3 piece. They are really kind of cool to watch. Especially if you have five 1 gallon bottles lined up bubbling.

+1 on the 3-piece. I have had the need of a blow off tube a few times, but that was just to keep SWMBO from yelling about beer on the ceiling.

gyrfalcon said:
Can you ferment under pressure?

Yes, if you are interested in some of the research I found online and the procedures that I personally do, here's a link. Also, a guy named Poindexter did an experimental batch as well on this link. If you have any questions or anything feel free to ask. As for this thread, I don't use an airlock. I use a spunding valve.:) Here's a link to Poindexter's, which are parts I wish I used on mine when I made it (pressure gauge and adjustable relief valve, I like the brass "T" better on mine, but I am also in a bigger keg than he is). It is just a different approach.

there seems to be a lot of love for the 3 piece. Why do you guys like them so much? I have been using the s curve ones but that's just because they were the first ones I saw and grabbed a handful of them.

I've also been wondering about the dry airlocks. Anyone use those? How do you like them?

Back