Let's complain about stupid drivers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
So tonight I was driving my family back from the sons soccer game. We were driving "in flow" with traffic about 5 mph over the speed limit. The 2 lanes merge into 1 (because construction) and everyone is doing the proper zipper as the lane ending is beginning to merge farther and farther back properly.

Then, outta nowhere this as*hole guy in a lifted up, wide as* tires, long as hell, truck steamrolls through the entire lane that ends up to where he force merges into traffic (which happens to be right in front me). He nearly proceeds to rear end the person in front me, and causes me jack the brakes and swerve nearly into a middle concrete riser. Then, to top it off, he lays on his horn, and then leans out of the window and yells at me to watch my driving because I almost hit him....

It seems there is a rise of pretentious pricks in my area that think they are the sh*t and can pass everyone in construction areas instead of waiting patiently with the other traffic.

Also, why is everyone stopping behind others leaving multiple car lengths in between them and the ones in front of them. Seriously, is your '90's pos beat up car that precious that you can't get close to others?

That is my rant for the night. Trying to relax with some jalapeno berry wine now. Let the rants continue!

serenity-now.jpg

Cheers! ;)

I have to drive to the boss' house today, through the top 3 richest counties in the US.

talk about some self-absorbed, entitled a-hole drivers.

I've gotta get a dash cam, record some of the dumbsh*t things people do around here

I can't wait to get cameras for my vehicle. I have a pc in the car already but am swapping it out for a tablet. I am in process of researching recording devices for about 4 cameras.

Just this morning on the way to work, I was slowing coming up on a red light when behind me I hear sirens. I pull off to the side of the road (as does the 2 cars before me) and a cop comes flying past us.

Only to turn off his lights/sirens as soon as he passes through the red light. I can't wait to record this stuff...

Here in Michigan we put up signs that indicate the need to merge WAY before the actual merge point. People are supposed to use that space to proactively and safely merge into the single lane.

But there are the Aholes that rush to the front then force their way into the single lane, jamming traffic and slowing everyone down. Signs say, "Lane ends, Merge Right", not "Lane ending up ahead, better see if you can get in front of a few more cars!"

Here's the one that drives me crazy: I'm on the highway keeping up with traffic. There's a clear space next to me. I signal I'm going to move over. Dickhead in the adjacent lane and well behind me decides to speed up, blocking my lane change.

The other one is this: the east, north and southbound freeways all converge on one eastbound section that empties into downtown Milwaukee. The main exit from that very, very busy piece of highway is one 4-lane one-way surface street. For obvious reasons, there is no parking on that street during morning rush hour and there are signs posted everywhere. That doesn't stop oblivious morons who say "Wow! Look at all these open parking spaces! It must be my lucky day! I think I'll park right here! I wonder why all those cars are honking at me? They must be jealous of my sweet parking spot." Every. Freaking. Day.

thought I would have a story for y'all from this morning's commute:

so, the guy who sped up so I couldn't merge into traffic on the Beltway in front of him,...

has a COEXIST bumper sticker

Just this morning on the way to work, I was slowing coming up on a red light when behind me I hear sirens. I pull off to the side of the road (as does the 2 cars before me) and a cop comes flying past us.

Only to turn off his lights/sirens as soon as he passes through the red light. I can't wait to record this stuff...

"Well, actually..." there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not a cop, but I've been on a few ride-alongs and I asked them about that.

Calls a cop gets dispatched to are given a priority ranging from low to high. For low-priority calls (fender bender accident), they just drive to the call along with the normal flow of traffic. For high-priority calls (officer in distress), they turn on the lights and sirens and get there as quickly as possible.

For medium priority calls, however, they need to get there quickly, but not pull-out-all-the-stops quickly. So they go along with the flow of traffic, but if they hit a red light, they pop the lights to go through it and shave off some time.

Drivers are dumb. When cops have their lights and sirens on, people around them turn into even bigger morons. "Oh my gosh, a cop is coming up behind me with his lights and sirens on, what do I do?" They move unpredictably and while they think they're getting out of the way, quite often they just end up blocking the path or causing another accident. So to minimize the confusion and risk to other drivers, cops leave their lights off and blend in with the flow of traffic as much as possible, unless it becomes absolutely necessary (i.e., a red light on their way to an "urgent" call).

It's not that the cop just doesn't feel like waiting for a red light. They're on shift for 8-12 hours whether they're sitting at a red light or breaking up a domestic. They're not in any hurry. When they pop the lights and blow a red light, it's because they're on their way to a call.

Or people see a police car on the shoulder and think "ZOMG!! Speed trap! I better reduce my speed by 50% right this instant!" Which makes the drivers behind hit their brakes, and so on down the line until no one's moving.

Back on topic: My biggest pet peeve with bad drivers is the guy who is in the left lane of a two-lane road, driving exactly the same speed as the guy right next to him in the right (pronounced "slow") lane.

Move the F over!

Or people see a police car on the shoulder and think "ZOMG!! Speed trap! I better reduce my speed by 50% right this instant!" Which makes the drivers behind hit their brakes, and so on down the line until no one's moving.

it's the law here in the Commonwealth

not "jam on your brakes", but you do have to slow down

Around here (Ontario, Canada) the law requires you to move over and provide a 1-lane "buffer" between traffic and a stopped police cruiser. So it effectively becomes a merge point, which causes traffic to slow down naturally (along with the rubber-necker lookie-loos) until you get past the cop.

How about on off ramps when people need to turn right and ride the entire shoulder past like 20 cars while there are people waiting their turn in the proper lane to turn right without riding the shoulder.

Back on topic: My biggest pet peeve with bad drivers is the guy who is in the left lane of a two-lane road, driving exactly the same speed as the guy right next to him in the right (pronounced "slow") lane.

Move the F over!

I have had the same thing happen and have moved over and rode smack down the center line in a kind of non verbal what you said...

There are days that I drive literally hundreds of miles all over DFW. I've seen things that make me question the evolution of our species.

I always think of what my sister-in-law, a driving instructor, sued to say: "90% of people operate their vehicles, only 10% actually know how to drive. Be in that 10%!"

I have said it before and I will say it again

1504856-society.png

Also, I really really hate the jerks who see me on my motorcycle come up the onramp and pull from fully behind me to 3/4 of the way in front of me and decide to merge in. I know you saw me jerk. Are you trying to kill me? Had another guy yesterday see me with my left turn signal on (in a car this time) to merge in one lane, he sped up to be right beside me then merged left one more lane himself when there was no one in it the whole time.

Instead of self canceling turn signals, we need self activating turn signals.

Unfortunately in Billings and Bozeman.........The two cities where I occasionally drive, a turn signal is taken as a signal to move forward and block you from changing lanes...... I never have understood this, but now signal a lane change milliseconds before actually making it, so the guy behind will not try to cut me off. I believe in signals, and have always used them religiously, but I can understand why people don't.

Interestingly, on the very few trips I've taken into Southern California, I found that people there respected turn signals on the interstate.......... A signal is not "asking permission" to change lanes, it's a statement that you ARE going to change lanes, and people make space........ That and people making space automatically when you hit the bottom of an on ramp at highway speed were the ONLY two driving behaviors I found down there that I liked.

I drive lightly traveled two lane highways mostly....that's what we have here. The big problems are idiots who pass when you are slowing down signaling a left turn. People get killed doing that all the time. We've had two fatalities within a mile of where I live as a result of this........ asleep at the wheel??..... I've had a number of close calls at the marked highway intersection near where I live...........To the extent of putting amber signals on the headache rack of my pickup to get people's attention. The other problem is passing on blind hills and corners....... I no longer tolerate people passing me where there is no visibility, especially trucks and towing vehicles........... You try to pass me where you cannot possibly see oncoming traffic, and I'll move over the center line and block you. It's a matter of survival! Three vehicles meet on a narrow two lane, and someone is likely to wreck. I've been forced off the road by the passing vehicle when he meets an oncoming vehicle........... in those several cases, my vehicle was unharmed, but both other vehicles were GONE. If damage or injury were to result, it would be a single vehicle accident as far as the highway patrol was concerned.

One case that really got me thinking was a wreck where 5 people were killed, that happened about 80 miles from here on a two lane highway. 3 drunken kids coming home from Northwest College in Powell, Wy. passed a truck on the two lane and met an oncoming car. Both the drunken kids and the oncoming car went for the ditch to avoid a head on............ and they hit head on in the ditch. A man and is wife, and three drunken kids died that day........
When you are both alongside a truck, traveling toward each other in opposite directions, it's a game of chicken.........If you both chicken out, you are going to die, and if neither chickens out you are going to die...... What do you do? What you do in that situation is take the LEFT ditch as you approach the truck. The kids are alongside the truck and have only one way to go.......... You have three options before you actually are alongside the truck....... left, right, and straight. The truck is NOT going to take the ditch.

One thing that is incredibly irritating here is big city drivers who insist on tailgating on wide open highway with literally miles of space. There is room for miles of space between cars here, yet people will get behind you and try to "push" you........Ironically when they do pass, I usually find myself right behind them at the stop sign in town. They'll often risk their lives passing in a blind spot to gain a fraction of a second. When there is traffic.... say half a dozen cars, they will tailgate, and when I leave a few hundred yards ahead of me, finally pass because it apparently irritates them to have driving room...... Again at the stop sign at the junction, they will be right ahead of me......... I'd far rather have them a few hundred yards ahead of me than on my ass!

The 20 miles to town takes 17 minutes at 70 mph ( Montana's speed limit on two lane highways) It takes 16 minutes at 75, and 15 minutes at 80. That difference of one or two minutes amounts to nothing, especially if you end up behind a string of cars anyway..... What's the rush? Is your life worth two minutes? Hills, narrow road and bridges, livestock, deer, farmers, etc.............. 70 is more than fast enough.

H.W.

I no longer tolerate people passing me where there is no visibility, especially trucks and towing vehicles........... You try to pass me where you cannot possibly see oncoming traffic, and I'll move over the center line and block you.

One thing that is incredibly irritating here is big city drivers who insist on tailgating on wide open highway with literally miles of space. There is room for miles of space between cars here, yet people will get behind you and try to "push" you.

What's the rush? 70 is more than fast enough.

It sounds like maybe you're just a slow driver. I would probably pass you too.

It sounds like maybe you're just a slow driver. I would probably pass you too.

GOD DAMN KIDS!

Seriously though, they just upped our interstate speed limit to 80... it's great. Oh and people can't drive.

I'm on topic here.

Here's the one that drives me crazy: I'm on the highway keeping up with traffic. There's a clear space next to me. I signal I'm going to move over. Dickhead in the adjacent lane and well behind me decides to speed up, blocking my lane change.

The other one is this: the east, north and southbound freeways all converge on one eastbound section that empties into downtown Milwaukee. The main exit from that very, very busy piece of highway is one 4-lane one-way surface street. For obvious reasons, there is no parking on that street during morning rush hour and there are signs posted everywhere. That doesn't stop oblivious morons who say "Wow! Look at all these open parking spaces! It must be my lucky day! I think I'll park right here! I wonder why all those cars are honking at me? They must be jealous of my sweet parking spot." Every. Freaking. Day.

are you talking about the plankinton exit? that's a nightmare.

It's especially bad now with the construction, but I guess I was ranting about the old Van Buren exit.

I hate stupid. people are stupid. I hate people.*

what amazes me most is how a misanthrope such as myself makes a living in customer service

* except you guys. I love all of you.

It's especially bad now with the construction, but I guess I was ranting about the old Van Buren exit.

oh, yeah, that's shut down now. it's even worse. everybody has to cram over to the plankinton exit. it's terrible.

if you miss that you have to cross the bridge.

I thought SC drivers were morans until I moved to Nashville. Can't tell you the number of times that I've been cruising along in the right lane, car in the left suddenly punches the gas and makes a right across my turn causing me to lock up the breaks. Add to that all the 'cowboy' wannabes in their jacked up pickups and mud tires that are wider than the lane that drive like they're the only ones on the road. And don't forget the women in BMW's and Audi's on the phone, while putting on makeup, and weaving like a drunk freshman at a keg party.

I really hope that there is a special place in hell for whoever planned the interstates in Nashville. We've got three that cross and come together at various points. Whoever is responsible for that needs to get beat with a sack of nickels. Then beaten with a rubber hose. Then shot, brought back to life and shot again.

I feel better now. Thanks guys. It's CMA's this week and the particular joy that is Bonnaroo.

My biggest gripe is tailgaters. Where I live it seems like about 90% of drivers do it. I'm driving 5 over and they're on my ass, I slow down when there's no oncoming traffic and they won't pass. I finally pull over and they stop too, because they're dumb-asses and don't know what's going on.

Then they go on to tailgate the next car.

I'm on a personal vengeance after going to lunch today during work. I wanted a nice meal so I decided to drive instead of walk to a farther place.

It appears there was some sort of event going on in our downtown area because traffic was 20x worse than it is on any other day.

It's the people that clog the intersection during green lights when traffic is backed up that got to me today. They sit there, in the middle of the intersection, and the light goes yellow, then red. They are still there. No cross traffic can move at all during the light change.

My solution so far is to pull right up to the side of their car if they are blocking me and lay on my horn. They act all dumbfounded because they can't move.

Hey, you intersect clogging, traffic congesting, arsehole, you could've waited back at the normal part you stop at during a red light even though it was green. It's the common sense thing to do (oh wait, we are talking about the public here)...

Ooo, I've got another one, let me see if I can describe this.

4-way intersection, I'm on the South edge facing North, waiting to turn left (West), behind another car. The East/West road is 2 lanes in each direction. We have a green light. There are cars on the opposite (North) side of the intersection from us, turning right to go West on the East/West road.

By law, those cars must turn into the closest lane. That means the other lane is open, and the guy in front of me can safely complete his left turn into the near lane (which he is also legally required to do). Yet he'll sit there and wait until there are no more cars on the opposite side of the intersection turning right before he'll go. Drives me nuts.

4-way intersection, I'm on the South edge facing North, waiting to turn left (West), behind another car. The East/West road is 2 lanes in each direction. We have a green light. There are cars on the opposite (North) side of the intersection from us, turning right to go West on the East/West road.

By law, those cars must turn into the closest lane. That means the other lane is open, and the guy in front of me can safely complete his left turn into the near lane (which he is also legally required to do). Yet he'll sit there and wait until there are no more cars on the opposite side of the intersection turning right before he'll go. Drives me nuts.

Or the person driving in the left lane turns and tries to merge into the right lane while turning, nearly running right into me as I'm turning right into my right lane from the opposite direction....

Or the person driving in the left lane turns and tries to merge into the right lane while turning, nearly running right into me as I'm turning right into my right lane from the opposite direction....

Had that happen the other day. I was turning right (into the right lane mind you) and this lady was taking a left. She sees me turning with signal on, takes her left and is pulling into the rightmost lane right into me. If I werent paying attention it would have been expensive for her. and probably painful for me.

I was driving to the DC Grain GB at 3 stars brewery and on the way i was on route 1. There was construction and they were forcing cars to merge into 1 lane. the left and middle lane were coned off and all had to go on the right lane to pass. You can also park on the right lane.... so as im merging i see this lady park her car in the right lane right where everyone was merging. left a small gap so 1 car could get through at a time but basically was right where all the cars were funneling. i couldnt freakin believe it. everyone getting on their horn and she gets out of her car and yells at them "I'M PARKING HERE!" and walks away. i was so happy that i was able to get by her right before she didnt that.

One thing that is incredibly irritating here is big city drivers who insist on tailgating on wide open highway with literally miles of space. There is room for miles of space between cars here, yet people will get behind you and try to "push" you........Ironically when they do pass, I usually find myself right behind them at the stop sign in town. They'll often risk their lives passing in a blind spot to gain a fraction of a second. When there is traffic.... say half a dozen cars, they will tailgate, and when I leave a few hundred yards ahead of me, finally pass because it apparently irritates them to have driving room...... Again at the stop sign at the junction, they will be right ahead of me......... I'd far rather have them a few hundred yards ahead of me than on my ass!

The 20 miles to town takes 17 minutes at 70 mph ( Montana's speed limit on two lane highways) It takes 16 minutes at 75, and 15 minutes at 80. That difference of one or two minutes amounts to nothing, especially if you end up behind a string of cars anyway..... What's the rush? Is your life worth two minutes? Hills, narrow road and bridges, livestock, deer, farmers, etc.............. 70 is more than fast enough.

It's not just big city people. I live in rural WV and get that one my commute all the time. I often watch where they are in such a hurry to get to. More often than not it's fast food, beer, or smokes. Like McD's is going to run out of breakfast burritos or Walmart is going to stop selling beer & smokes. Cracker, please.

There are several that get me, many already mentioned, but there is on that gets me not mentioned yet. I'm coming up on an onramp and I can see a line of cars about to merge, so I move over to the left lane as a courtesy. Inevitably one of two things happen. One car just can't stand how slow people are merging, so while still only going about 25mph, jumps immediately into the my lane causing me to jump on my brakes OR they immediately get behind me and start riding my a** while I'm trying to pass the other merging cars.

Most day's I just set my cruise, crank up the radio, and try to zone out, but I never use my turn signals. If I did people might actually know what I intend to do.

SWMBO's pet peeve is "people who don't low how big their car is." A while back, we went to a shopping center in a hoity-toity part if the suburbs because there's a jewelry shop that could repair something for her. While she did that, I walked to the grocery store to what? Get some good beer. Anyway, she finishes her thing and drives over to the grocery store to wait for me.

She was fully within the lines of a parking spot and along comes some dummy in a big BMW SUV who tries to park next to her. There's PLENTY of room FOR THE BMW to get in, but the dummy doesn't know how big her car is, she starts flipping out and gesticulating to SWMBO to move. Meanwhile SWMBO just laughs at her because she can see that there is several FEET of clearance between the two vehicles.

Back