Let see if I have this right...first time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I've got my system all set up and today I bottled 2.25 gallons of an Oatmeal Stout for a friend and put the rest of the 3 gallons in my sanitized keg for the first time.

I added 30 psi to te keg and purged it 3 times to get rid of all oxygen, it has since been put in the kegerator to cool but not hooked up to gas yet.

Here's what I think is the next plan of action, just looking to see if I have it right, and I wanted to note I have it dropping down to 40F now, I should be doing that before hooking up to gas right?

1. Hook gas back up and set to 30 psi.
2. Let sit 48 hours
3. Purge 30lbs out of keg
4. Set regulator to 12-14 psi for serving and hook back up.
5. Hook up liquid side and test pour to check carbonation

Do I have this correct? After purging the 30lbs after carbing for 48 hours,can I immediately set to 12-14 lbs. and pour right after that?

If you're planning on high pressure for 48 hours you can go a head and connect the gas line and let it carb while it's cooling.

I usually keg then put on gas @ 30 psi. I let it sit for 36 hours while it comes down in temp and then just turn down to serving pressure. My regulators will purge Co2 automatically down to the set pressure. Yours should as well.

The problem is... a keg that's only half filled with beer will still contain a lot of air after 3 30psi purges. You do not get rid of all the oxygen that way.

The most economical and near 100% O2 free method is to purge a 100% Starsan filled keg with CO2 and fill the keg through the liquid out post.

Newbie here with 1/2 batch & kegging questions

Purging Kegs

1. Next pressurize to 30 psi.
  2. If the beer is above serving temperature put in keezer to chill to that temp. Continue to 3.
  3. If the beer is between 34°F and serving temperature, rock & roll the keg for 10-15 minutes to force carbonate. Put back in keezer for 24 hours, vent and pressurize to serving pressure. 12-24 hours later it should be ready to serve. You may need to vent again a few more times if foaming becomes an issue.
The beer improves over the next several days as more CO2 is absorbed and carbonic acid is reduced.

So should I set to 30 psi and purge a few more times since it is too late for that, then carb?

My regulators will purge Co2 automatically down to the set pressure. Yours should as well.

Hey, can you explain that bit? I've got a few different regulators and none of them "automatically" purge. How I read that is if I turn the dial down it should purge gas until the pressure matches what I set the regulator? None of mine work that way. I have to purge at the keg as I turn the regulator knob down.

So should I set to 30 psi and purge a few more times since it is too late for that, then carb?

It's not too late. The CO2 and O2 enters the beer regardless, until an equilibrium is reached. That takes a few days, even weeks.
Look at those graphs in the links and see what you think is needed. I would purge 10 times at 30psi with a half filled keg, although it may still not be enough for some beer. Now a Stout is a bit more forgiving than say, an IPA.

I hope you've got a big CO2 cylinder. ;)

It's not too late. The CO2 and O2 enters the beer regardless, until an equilibrium is reached. That takes a few days, even weeks.
Look at those graphs in the links and see what you think is needed. I would purge 10 times at 30psi with a half filled keg, although it may still not be enough for some beer. Now a Stout is a bit more forgiving than say, an IPA.

I hope you've got a big CO2 cylinder. ;)

Two full 20 lb tanks were included with my buy :rockin:

Was wondering how long these would last!

Based off of the graphs (thanks for sharing these) I am comfortable saying 5 times is sufficient. 0.385% O2 seems like it should not be an issue...especially when this keg will be gone within a few weeks.

With a half filled keg don't be skimpy on purging.Oxidized beer taste like crap and once its oxidized time will not fade the off flavors. Next time carb a full keg and give your buddy a growler or 2.

Purging:
Set PSI doesn't matter 12,30 whatever
open gas at reg or tank,wait till you hear no more air going into keg,close gas(4 or 5 seconds usually)
Purge till no more air comes out (again 4or 5 seconds)
Repeat 5 or 6 times (this is for 5 gal,you need to purge way more this time)
Set to serving psi for set it and forget method,wait 2 weeks,or 30 psi for burst method for 48 hours.Even after 48 hours the carb/head wont settle in for a couple more days.But youll be drinking after 48 hours..I ALWAYS bust carb,whose got 2 weeks,not me.:D
Always start with cold/serving temp beer.

I'm a 3 season brewer and fill my 10# tanks 2 or 3 times a year max.20# will last a LOOOONNG time.With 2 full you wont be refilling for over a year..Are you sure there 20#,those are scuba tanks and rarely used in homebrew.It will be stamped on the tank

Hey, can you explain that bit? I've got a few different regulators and none of them "automatically" purge. How I read that is if I turn the dial down it should purge gas until the pressure matches what I set the regulator? None of mine work that way. I have to purge at the keg as I turn the regulator knob down.

I force carb at 30 psi. Then I set serving pressure 14-15 psi. When I change pressure on my secondary regulators, they purge gas from the keg until the equalize with my new set pressure.

I'm a 3 season brewer and fill my 10# tanks 2 or 3 times a year max.20# will last a LOOOONNG time.With 2 full you wont be refilling for over a year..Are you sure there 20#,those are scuba tanks and rarely used in homebrew.It will be stamped on the tank

Yes they are 20lb tanks, they do look like scuba tanks too lol. One has a handle, one doesn't.

Yes they are 20lb tanks, they do look like scuba tanks too lol. One has a handle, one doesn't.

I doubt they're scuba tanks, they look different and have a different valve and gas connection. They better, since they're supposed to contain compressed air or some other oxygen mixture. You don't want to use or connect a tank with the wrong gas in it. :drunk:

My kegging routine has been (with 5 gallon batches).

1) Set primary fermenter on high surface like a table or counter.
2) As the trub is resettling in the fermenter, I pour about 2 gallons of sanitizer in an empty (and cleaned) keg. Put the lid on, do the Charleston for a couple of minutes (aka: shake the piss out of it).
3) With the keg on the same table as the fermenter, I rack the sanitizer from the keg back into the 5 gallon water jug I use to hold my sanitizer. It more or less sanitizes the autosiphon and tubing as well. I also spray the outside of the siphon and tubing with sanitizer I keep in a spray bottle. The lid and Oring sit in a bowl of sanitizer.
4) Rack the beer from the carboy to the keg, attached the lid and purge the keg of any residual O2. Usually this is about 5-6 long pulls of the PRV of the keg. Attached gas line to keg and let it set at 30psi for about two days.
5) Collect yeast from carboy and pour into sanitized 1 quart mason jars. Label and place in the fridge with the lids on loosely. After an hour (if I can remember it), I tighten down the lids.
6) Clean carboy and store for next batch.
7) Two days after kegging, I turn the pressure down to 12psi and hope, pray, do a rain dance, stick a few pins in a voodoo doll, etc. that this batch will be as good as the last one I made.

This, I'm sure, isn't the best way (nor do I claim it is) to do it, but has been what I typically do on 'Keg Day' and it seems to work. My post might seem long and drawn out because of all the details I included, but I'm usually done in 20-30 minutes from start to finish, probably sooner. I have a one gallon batch of cider fermenting now that I plan on kegging. I may try the sanitizer/CO2 method described here and see how that goes since it's going into a 2.5 gallon keg.

So I ended up purging 10 times and put it on 30psi of gas. Should I take it off after 24 hours or wait 48 hours then put it on the serving pressure? It is a stout.

Back