Let’s see you PLC Automation setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straykiller

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve been planning on converting my system to an all electric rims system controlled via plc. I had a Micrologix1100 I originally slated to do the job but ran across a steal on eBay. I was able to purchase a nice stainless control panel with albeit older but much higher end equipment. If any of you are using a plc for you Automation I would love to see it for inspiration. I’m going to begin coding soon but still have to buy the required parts to convert to electric. Dont forget to post them sexy PLc Pics.

ECDBD9B6-DAFE-4C58-A5A4-0D0DE50B12CE.jpeg

Guess there’s not a lot of PLC’s being used. Does anyone have a reccomendation for proportional Solid state relays that can be used with a 4-20mA signal? This is the main thing I’m unsure of and wondering what others are using for their heating elements. Thanks

If any of you are using a plc for you Automation I would love to see it for inspiration. Dont forget to post them sexy PLc Pics.
No sexy pictures, my setup is for propane.
I use multiple PLCs in my setup most are tied together through Ethernet for peer to peer communication.
A few pics, not shown keg and bottle filler PLCs.
#1 & 2 brewery PLC, #3 Cornie keg washer, #4 & 5 Automatic grain dispensing, #6 & 7 Control room.
Enclosure2013.jpg PLC_Enclosure.jpg August2014 (2).jpg 2018-1.JPG 2018-3.JPGMenu.jpgNoControl.jpg

Very impressive thanks for sharing. That’s awesome, I’ve only dealt slightly with the automation direct plc’s how you like them? They are pretty popular, I run into one every now and then on jobs. I like the idea of a keg washer, I think you just added to my future to do list lol.

Very impressive thanks for sharing. That’s awesome, I’ve only dealt slightly with the automation direct plc’s how you like them? They are pretty popular, I run into one every now and then on jobs. I like the idea of a keg washer, I think you just added to my future to do list lol.
I do like Automation Direct PLCs, easy to use.
I started in 1995 with an IDEC but was too limited. I never liked Allen Bradley and local support in 1995 was very costly.

Lots of people don't use PLC's because big brands are expensive on the hardware side and even more expensive on the software side. I probably wouldn't go with a Logix controller is just too much for a brewing system. AB has Micro800 or even old micrologix series would have been enough. Siempre has of course S7-1200 at very affordable prices, and if you can't afford the software use a VM if they have trials, and remember to take snapshots save your programs on your host machine. What do you do for a living the cabinet setup is pretty good, got even a safety relay!

Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread. Just wanted to add that the AB Micro800 series not only has decent software but it's free as well. They are also fairly cheap as far as PLC's go. I certainly recommend looking into that series if that's the direction you're aiming to go.

Back