Lesson learned.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunbeam

Reaction score
I recently restarted brewing after many years away, catalyzed by finding a good deal on some AG equipment at a yard sale. First batch was a simple pale ale that came out quite good current batch is in primary now but not so sure of it being a success. As brew night grew late and I weary and impatient, I ran it into the fermenter at 85`F ,pitched S04 and went to bed to dream of a lovely hoppy late hopped less basic APA . Fermentation was slow to start but 24-36 hours in it took off and smelled normal from the airlock. Now at 48 hours,it has pretty much stopped and a whiff from the lid hole of the bucket nearly burned my nose hairs out! Holy Fusels! Man I wish I'd given it another :15 with the chiller before finishing. :(

The " burn " sensation comes from the CO2. I do not think your beer will turn bad.

! What does the temp. says now, in the fermenter? Try to gently shake the fermenter a bit to rouse the yeast.

S-04 is an English strain, which can withhold higher temps. than the usual 60-65F. It will maybe produce more esters, but the beer should be OK.

Anyway, is too early to worry about fusels. :)

Fermenter sitting in cellar now, thermometer on side says 68`F. I'll RDWHAHB and proceed as normal. I haven't fermented in plastic in a long time so maybe whiffing through. A 1/4" hole made a difference too. On with the dry hops!!

Yes, huffing co2 will do that. You likely do have some fusels from the high temperature, but I'm not sure you can smell that. The high pitching temperature would also account for the fast fermentation.

Opened the bucket this AM and took a gravity sample and added dry hops. 1.050 to 1.010 in 2 days! Had a taste and I don't think it will be a sink pour but there definitely some hot alcohol that lingers after the desired flavors fade. I'm ordering up an Inkbird 308 control this week to control my kegerator (it froze the test solution in the line) so I may use that to ferment in when there's nothing on tap.

After all the worry and a near sink pour, a week in secondary, cold crash, and carbonation in the keg resulted in a very drinkable beer. In fact, good enough to get a newbie interested in the hobby.

After all the worry and a near sink pour, a week in secondary, cold crash, and carbonation in the keg resulted in a very drinkable beer. In fact, good enough to get a newbie interested in the hobby.

Time heals many wounds! I fermented my American Wheat at 68...first time for me fermenting so high with temp control...tapped this weekend with some friends and it is delicious!

Back