Length of time in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. revvy wrote a book. i can't read that much right now

Yeah...I should have known better than joke about something like that.

Again, to reiterate, I didn't mean to suggest that the info here isn't extremely helpful. I meant it as a joke because my brother has noticed how much time I've been spending on this forum. :rockin:

Again, to reiterate, I didn't mean to suggest that the info here isn't extremely helpful. I meant it as a joke because my brother has noticed how much time I've been spending on this forum.

Yah it's all good, I would just suggest these 4 points mainly.

1) Keep brew in primary for at least 2 weeks even if fermentation is over in 7 days.The more you can wait the better your brew will be.
2) Keep brew in bottles at least 3 weeks even if you think its ready in one or 2...four weeks is what i try and wait for...minimum you will taste a big difference if you wait.
3) keep your fermentation temperatures low(60-70f), the lower and slower you can keep fermentation the cleaner the beer flavor... if you have an extra tub or large tupperwear container you may want to use that to immerse your fermenter. if not a wet towel can help.
4) Patience is gold in brewing.. if your beer tastes weird// cidery//apply.. just wait another week or 2 and try it again...in 2 weeks if its still tastes weird wait for anouther 2 weeks..

Also,
There is no need to transfer to secondary at all.. this is a myth. read more about it online.

Thanks, Dondlelinger. All great advice. Yes, I'm definitely keeping my brew going for at least 2 weeks (this Sunday will be 2), and also trusting my hydrometer and taste buds. :)

Luckily my garage manages to stay fairly cool in teh spring. I had my fermentation temps down around 60-65 during peak. Then I let the temp go up near days 6-9, to about 70, and now it's back in the garage hovering around 60.

I'll probably be using a swamp coller once summer hits hard though.

Thanks again :mug:

For all my beers, I wait until signs of fermentation is complete (yeast has dropped, no air lock activity, etc.) This usually takes about 5-7 days for an ale and 10-14 days for a lager. I then take a gravity reading and it is usually where it is needed to be. If I am doing a d-rest (lagers or some english strains), I will do so at this time. The beer only needs a few days after fermentation to "clean up" after itself. Once that is done, the beer will only degrade quicker (oxidation, yeast dieing, etc.) If you are drinking the beer fast, it won't be a problem, but if you are going to store it for a while it could be. Keep in mind, this works for me because I pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast and ferment in a temperature controlled freezer. If you don't control temp or have bad yeast health, then the beer may benefit from extra conditioning.

I still think you have a whole lot more reading to do. Everything on this forum says at least 4 weeks, maybe one less for wheat beers. You need to do some more waiting and reading.

I think you might need to do some more reading/listening/watching etc. Jamil will point out many times that 3 weeks for most styles is "plenty" of time in the primary...and that is without a secondary. 3 weeks, and then off to bottling or keg. John Palmer also advocates not transferring to secondary, but rather just leaving the beer in a week or two longer in the primary. If you rack, do it for dry hopping, fruits, other crazy additions, etc. Racking may help you clear, but you risk infection, and it really isn't necessary at this level.

Listen to Jamil, John, and Justin on the multiple podcasts they have on the brewing network, and also, brewingtv.com.

The "best practices" for homebrewing are always changing, so I would never tell another homebrewer that there is only one way to do it. Do what works for you...take OG readings...that is probably the one tried and true technique that has yet to change over the years.

Back