Lenght of fermentation/bottle conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstrub

Reaction score
Newbie question here. I'm brewing extract with all my kits for far from Northern Brewer. The first 4 kits I've brewed were all "basic gravity" kits with a labeled time of 6 weeks from boil to drinking. My latest is an IPA with OG of 1.069 and their label time is 8 weeks.

I'm diligent about using a hydrometer to verify fermentation is done and I figure about 3 weeks for bottle conditioning. So is NB's suggestion of 2 extra weeks simply a reflection of longer fermentation time that my hydrometer will verify? or is there something I'm missing?

Finally, how long can one ferment before bottling before some new pitching is needed for carbonation?

Thanks in advance!

The gravity is an indication that this might take a little time to condition. They suggest 8 weeks because the beer will change when aged a bit more and will continue to improve.

I've left beer in primary for over a month with success. It takes a good long time for the yeast to actually die, so there should be enough in suspension to keep you safe for a while.

Back