Lemons and Limes in Beer...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi

Reaction score
Just a general question to anyone who can shed some light into why lemons accompany many "honey wiess" beers (and other fruit "toppers" like limes with Coronas/many mexican beers, orange peels on Blue Moon and other Belgian style brews)? Is there a purpose for these "accessories"?

Because that's the way other's make them............I assume limes in mexican lagers (because Americans put them in anyhow), oranges in Blue Moon (it's in there anyhow)Apperently the drinking public like lemon in American honey beers. Fight it, or make something better. You make what you like, the public buys what they like.

Sometimes it's an attempt to hide "off flavors" or "skunked" beer - Corona is a prime example with its light flavor, clear bottle, and sometimes long journey in less than optimum storage. Citrus can mask many flaws in beer. Other times it's there to complement citrus flavors or fruity esters in the beer as in Blue Moon or Hoegaarden (usually wheat beers).

Purists say let the beer speak for itself and skip the fruity additions. I say try the beer both with and without the slice of fruit and drink it the way you like best.

Yuri_Rage said:
Sometimes it's an attempt to hide "off flavors" or "skunked" beer

I think I heard once that lemons/limes can be used to balance the pH level of a beer. Is there any truth to that? That would kind of explain "off flavors" before adding the lemon/lime...

Find how you like to drink your beer and drink it that way and ignore the heckling from the beer snobs.

You'll find all kinds of opinions about the right glass, condiments, temps, CO2 content, gas use for various types of beer. Ultimately if you don't ENJOY it, regardless of what the beer snobs tell you is wrong about how you like it, then 'right and wrong' don't enter into it.

It's no different than the 'right way' to do any number of other things. Like brats. There are some folks that pile all kinds of crap on the brats: catsup, onions, peppers but others swear that kraut is all a good brat needs.

Isn't it obvious why wheat beer needs citrus? You need something to cover up the beer's real taste so you don't gag while trying to force the vileness down your throat.

Did I ever mention that I don't care for wheat beer?

I think the acidity of the fruit works well with certain beers and adds a little different dimension, though is subjective and not for everyone. Mexi beers I'm game as it has nothing to lose. American wheats, okay but I wouldn't. True Weizens, save the fuit for the Mexi's.

olllllo said:
I heard that citrus keeps the flies off your bottle. Could be Urban Legend.

Im going to keep that in mind next time I pick up a case of Pacifico. But the only time I put anything in my beer is when Im drinking Mexican beers. And its always one lime wedge and a pinch of salt.

I've found that 2 different citrus cutting methods work for 2 different purposes, and a lot of people don't use the methods properly.

First, is the wedge. Often found stuck in the neck of a bottle or hanging over the edge of a glass, this method is good for extracting juice, which will add a lot of flavor to a beer, and would logically alter the pH. In my opinion, mexican lagers (as well as mexican food) should always come with a lime wedge, but no other beer should get a wedge.

Second, is the slice. A slice should be the complete cross-section of a fruit, and can be very thin because it is used for aroma, not juice extraction. Just float a slice of lemon on top of your pint of hefe, and breathe it in as you sip. Ahhhh

It is a fad. If they give a lemon slice, throw it back at them! The lime in Mexican lagers was originally used to mask the skunk flavor. Now it has just become the thing to do. I always just tell them to keep the fruit.

Yuri_Rage said:
Sometimes it's an attempt to hide "off flavors" or "skunked" beer - Corona is a prime example with its light flavor, clear bottle, and sometimes long journey in less than optimum storage.

What you say may be true, but personally, I have never had a bottle of Corona that was bad, despite the clear bottle or other factors that might contribute to delicacy. And I don't take lime with my Corona, so I know I'd recognize a bad one if I happened upon it. That said, I'm not really all that far from the source of Corona either, so that may make a difference too.

I often drink Negra Modelo with a slice of lime. The flavor doesn't need any masking, I just like the little zip of citrus bright spark that the lime adds to the otherwise smooth and mild dark beer.

Back